Thread: Noob Calibrater - Help with a S/C Saturn Sky LE5

Noob Calibrater - Help with a S/C Saturn Sky LE5

Can someone look at the attached files and let me know if there's anything I should be concerned about?

I'm new to this calibrating stuff. I bought a supercharger kit for my 2008 Saturn Sky with the LE5 motor and automatic transmission. Everything is stock except for the S/C, no CAT and a SOLO Performance exhaust (muffler & resonator). I've also got a water meth kit on it, but I've got it set so high it's not injecting anything. The guy I bought the kit from was going to help me do the base tune and the water/meth tune, but he's been so busy I've not gotten any help except for the starting file (1.hpt).

I have installed an NGK wide band O2 and have temporary disconnected the A/C pressure sensor and connect the output of the WB to it for logging.

What concerns me is I've seen the KR as high as 8 on some off my previous WOT logs. Driving around town and not stomping on it the KR is usually 0. I've also been getting some DTC's about the CAT and the car running too rich.

Any advise or help will be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    so there is a lot that needs to be changed. i highly recommend turning off just about everything and following the lsj guides to calibrating ve tables and power enrichment then come back and play with the rest.
    to prevent yourself from blowing up at a minimum reduce your timing and pe settings to allow for safer running. its been a while so i cant comment fully on traction control disabling but everything i have here should get you safer than what you have now.cat disable.pngdiagnostic configuration 1.pngpe boosted.pngpe noundries.pngtrq.png
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

and ignition...ign reduce.png

Any particular reason for that PE curve? Just curious because it looks interesting when it flattens temporarily from 2500-3500.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    so there is a lot that needs to be changed. i highly recommend turning off just about everything and following the lsj guides to calibrating ve tables and power enrichment then come back and play with the rest.
    to prevent yourself from blowing up at a minimum reduce your timing and pe settings to allow for safer running....
    Thanks for your help!

I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Does the LE5 use the same ECM as the LSJ? When I cross reference the ECM part number it comes up as an E38, but the VCM Editor reports an E37.

2. Will this make any difference in the tuning strategy?

I'm at work presently. I'll study your screen prints tonight and digest the information.

Again thanks a bunch for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    Any particular reason for that PE curve? Just curious because it looks interesting when it flattens temporarily from 2500-3500.
    I don't have a clue why he tuned it that way. The guy that tuned it has got street cred with the Solstice and Sky owners, but I've not got any help tuning his kit. Anyhow, this is where I'm at looking for help.

If you're looking for hpt help, street cred doesn't cut it relative to the knowledge on this forum. CCSOB knows exactly what he's doing. I was just curious because I've never seen that approach before. Sure he has a reason for it.

there isnt much boots in that range and the cylinder temps can be raise due to the short period of time it spends in that rpm range. i run them on the leaner side until about 3500 then ramp them pretty quick to the fat side to keep the cylinders cool. benefit is a snappier low end...if the motor was built and designed for top end i would run that fat to prevent building unnecessary heat in the cylinder which can net me a leaner ratio later in the higher rpm range. little tricks here and there from the lsx group.

like i said its been a while since ive been in that ecu model and i draw a blank on one of my traction control adjustments. so i cant comment on it fully but the tables i posted will turn the majority of it off.

and ignition...ign reduce.png
    If got everything else entered except this. It's taking awhile to get these changed. I'm going to have to finish this in the morning.

Thanks again CSSOB!

sorry i dont have a file licensed on my particular interface so i couldn't modify one and save it for posting. all i did there was lower timing into the mid teens under wot and lower the the rest overall to prevent hot running during tuning. you can go back and change it when you get to that point. good luck with the tune.

sorry i dont have a file licensed on my particular interface so i couldn't modify one and save it for posting. all i did there was lower timing into the mid teens under wot and lower the the rest overall to prevent hot running during tuning. you can go back and change it when you get to that point. good luck with the tune.
    I got that done. I also copied the High Octane map to the Low Octane map. Now its time to download!

Thanks CSSOB for the help!

Thanks for the help. I down loaded the new tune and drove the car around last night. I thought it ran pretty good on the kit tune, but now its so much more responsive. It idles better now too. I can't wait to fine tune it and squeeze some more power out of it.

Now its off to calibrate the MAF

When you monitor boost you need to verify what your throttle position is...when you go 0 psi or straight atmospheric in the map sensor, that will be where you set you pe enable by tps.
    The lsj can take more than you can before pe needs to kick in. Atmospheric enable is a great start.

Potential Tuner
    hey cobaltoverbooster are you an HP TUNER ? where are you located in Nevada ? I live in Bay Area and looking to do an HP Tune once I get my DP/CATBACK/CAI on.

Trouble enabling PE Mode?

I've created a histogram using the Command EQ Ratio (SAE), but it looks like I don't enter PE mode until I'm above 3000 RPM.

Commanded EQ Ratio.JPG

I'm trying to initiate the PE mode at 39% TPS, but it looks like I'm not getting there. Here's how the PE enable parameters are set up.

PE mode parameters.JPG

It looks like the WB sensor supports that I'm not entering PE until above 3000 RPM also.

23 juL 14 Bills.cfg
    Ag Sky 21 Jul 14 CSSOB tune REV3 .hpt
    24 JUL 14 CSSOB with WB EVENING 2.hpl
    Last edited by Ag_Sky; 07-25-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ag_Sky View Post
    ...It looks like the WB sensor supports that I'm not entering PE until above 3000 RPM also....
    Wide Band AFR.JPG