Thread: possible lnf leaks on sky

possible lnf leaks on sky

so i thought i heard an exhaust leak one day so i took off the turbo heat shield and inspected everything with it running (cold start with cat heating on) i couldnt hear any leaks. i did however find a few dark smudged areas that look like leaks. also noticed smoke coming from the exhaust manifold when i started it (cold start).

this is the bottom left side of the exhaust manifold. looks like it might be an exhaust leak.
    IMG_20140719_174058.jpg
    IMG_20140719_174249.jpg

this is where the smoke was coming from, from behind the manifold heat shield.
    IMG_20140719_174048.jpg

bottom right side of exhaust manifold.
    IMG_20140719_174126.jpg

under the timing chain tensioner.
    IMG_20140719_174136.jpg
    2008 Sky RL

under valve cover in front of motor, by timing chain tensioner.
    IMG_20140719_174146.jpg

there seemed to be some dark areas in the intake side as well below the valve cover. im thinking i need a new valve cover gasket and exhaust manifold gasket, as long as the manifold isnt cracked.

anybody else had this happen?
    2008 Sky RL

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    does the exhaust manifold itself have any dry soot marks on it? or wet sooty marks coming from the flange? exhaust usually have a directional soot stain instead of dirt splotches. im thinking its just valve cover because from these pictures i dont see soot tracks on the manifold itself. if they are there its faint to my eyes
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

That pic under the chain tensioner looks like you been having a cookout with Kingsford charcoal. Either an animal was incinerated or you have a big exhaust leak.

Can anyone explain why GM decided to use ultra rapid rust-generating steel for the chain tensioner?

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    That pic under the chain tensioner looks like you been having a cookout with Kingsford charcoal. Either an animal was incinerated or you have a big exhaust leak.

Can anyone explain why GM decided to use ultra rapid rust-generating steel for the chain tensioner?
    and thats a new tensioner too, about a year old.
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    does the exhaust manifold itself have any dry soot marks on it? or wet sooty marks coming from the flange? exhaust usually have a directional soot stain instead of dirt splotches. im thinking its just valve cover because from these pictures i dont see soot tracks on the manifold itself. if they are there its faint to my eyes
    i think ill get a new gasket and clean up the dirty spots and see if it comes back.
    2008 Sky RL

It makes the whole engine look so shitty like you drove through the dead sea.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Nice Bill real nice