Thread: Thoughts on my turbo tune ( in progress)

Thoughts on my turbo tune ( in progress)

1998 Camaro Ls1 Bone Stock engine.

78mm On3 Turbo with a 6PSI spring in the precision 44mm wastegate.

I have been working on this tune for a couple days. It pulls hard in boost and not breaking up anymore so I am making progress.

The tune is still a little lean up top and I am getting "knock" which I need to confirm is true. Also need to smooth VE but Im not that far a long yet.

2 Bar Speed Density - 60lb SD injectors - 60 PSI fuel pressure with a return

Injector data is from the banish dvd so i believe they are correct.

Aem Tru boost read over 7 PSI at some points but map sensor never shows that high?

What are your Thoughts on the overall tune so far?
    TEST 7.16.2014.hptdrive with cool dad.hpl2 bar OL.cfg

I am new to this, but just looking, it seems like you have quite a bit more timing than I would expect to see, at least already.

Looking over your tune and logs, I notice a couple of things. First thing to keep in mind, is that we cannot see your wideband reading purely just because we do not have your interface with us. So we have to take your word on it that you say it is going lean. With that being said, here are some things I noticed, that you could pay some attention to:

- Match both of your high and low octane tables. We trust you as an auto enthusiast that you will put the highest grade fuel in your car (91-93) every time you run it. The "fail safe" for a bad batch of fuel will be the safety margin built in to your spark tables, and your knock sensors functioning correctly.
    - Your IAT spark table needs to be changed. You have POSITIVE numbers in the table in high IAT areas. This is backwards, you need NEGATIVE numbers in this table. There is not a SINGLE table in hp tuners that is "Subtractive". Tables can only be additive or something else. So in your case right now when you reach high IATs, your car ADDS timing. Exactly the opposite of what should happen.
    - Disable your Long term fuel trims to aide in your tuning. You wouldn't want some random (and innaccurate) fuel trim messing with your tuning. That will throw you for a loop and make it much more difficult to tune.
    - Might as well raise your speed limiter to 255. I mean, you want your car to trap over 160mph don't you?
    - Change your fan temps. Especially on a turbo car, you want the car to be running as cool as it possibly can be. I put the Fan on temp 10* above my thermostat value, and fan off to 5* above the thermostat value. (For example on a 160* thermostat: On= 170*, off= 165*) This will give your car a much great RESERVE of temperature if it ever encounters a situation that would cause it to get hot. (Like a long and steep hill maybe)

Try that stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz View Post
    Looking over your tune and logs, I notice a couple of things. First thing to keep in mind, is that we cannot see your wideband reading purely just because we do not have your interface with us. So we have to take your word on it that you say it is going lean. With that being said, here are some things I noticed, that you could pay some attention to:

- Match both of your high and low octane tables. We trust you as an auto enthusiast that you will put the highest grade fuel in your car (91-93) every time you run it. The "fail safe" for a bad batch of fuel will be the safety margin built in to your spark tables, and your knock sensors functioning correctly.
    - Your IAT spark table needs to be changed. You have POSITIVE numbers in the table in high IAT areas. This is backwards, you need NEGATIVE numbers in this table. There is not a SINGLE table in hp tuners that is "Subtractive". Tables can only be additive or something else. So in your case right now when you reach high IATs, your car ADDS timing. Exactly the opposite of what should happen.
    - Disable your Long term fuel trims to aide in your tuning. You wouldn't want some random (and innaccurate) fuel trim messing with your tuning. That will throw you for a loop and make it much more difficult to tune.
    - Might as well raise your speed limiter to 255. I mean, you want your car to trap over 160mph don't you?
    - Change your fan temps. Especially on a turbo car, you want the car to be running as cool as it possibly can be. I put the Fan on temp 10* above my thermostat value, and fan off to 5* above the thermostat value. (For example on a 160* thermostat: On= 170*, off= 165*) This will give your car a much great RESERVE of temperature if it ever encounters a situation that would cause it to get hot. (Like a long and steep hill maybe)

Try that stuff out.
    Good catch on the IATs I changed all those and forgot to put the negative in front of the numbers.

I disabled closed loop so Long terms are turned off as well.

Wideband is through EGR so if you run the config i attached you should be able to see it.

Just changed the thermostat and fan temps today and car like the cooler temps

Also found a bad plug wire which helps with some of the random misfires at idle.

Last but not least my MAP sensor reads WAYYYY OFFF! AEM boost gauge with electronic sensor read 12 PSI of boost when logs show 149 KPA which if i am doing my math right is only 7 PSI