Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: He y'all. Trying to get my truck tuned out but cant seem to get it to stop misfiring

Tuner

He y'all. Trying to get my truck tuned out but cant seem to get it to stop misfiring

I've got an '01 Silverado 1500 5.3L with a Magnuson supercharger and Gibson headers. I've tried messing with things and get it smoothed out but no luck in getting it to do what I want. If anyone could take a look at my tune and tell me/show me how to get it running better. I'm going to Midas and having them weld in my bung for my wideband so I can keep my stock O2 sensor and the wideband. The injectors I have are the Multec II, and my fuel rail pressure is 58 lbs. I do have a 2 Bar MAP installed, and the supercharger has an IAT sensor mounted to monitor post boost air temp. My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar calibration ready - 5.1.hpt

Elaborate on what you mean when it misfires? Like the computer logs a misfire, or you feel a stutter? What all have you started to tune so far? I noticed that your Injector flowrate table is not scaled properly, so that would probably explain why your boost enrichment table looks the way it does. I would scale the injectors properly instead of raping the PE/BE and VE tables.

Tuner
    It shutters and the computer is logging a misfire P0300 and P0304. I've checked the wiring and had the fuel system cleaned today, its better, but when the A/C kicks on the RPMs drop and it surges 100-150 RPMs back and forth. What is your suggestion on the proper scaling of the injector flowrate table? Thanks for the response.

The injector flow rate table should increase as it moves to the right across the table, because obviously your injectors flow more fuel with a vacuum in the engine as compared to an atmospheric pressure (ambient air). Here is an example of my 80# siemens injectors at 58psi rail pressure:

Tuner
    Because my engine is boosted, would that change the flowrate to go down as a result of having resistance to flow. My radix boosts to about 6-7 lbs, with spikes of 8-9 lbs.

Correct, as you make boost, your injectors start to flow less. Then, hp tuners will just reference the "0" column for it's flowrate nunmber, and you end up having to skew the VE or MAF table up a little bit to compensate. That is what is so awesome about Boost referenced fuel pressure regulators, they will raise your rail pressure 1psi for every psi of boost that you make, so when it references that "0" column, it is an actual accurate flowrate.

Tuner
    wideband screenshot.jpg
    I have a wideband installed on my bank 2 side, LM-2, and this is what the Wideband table looks like. any suggestions on how/what to adjust to get the AFR to a more rich setting?

Tuner in Training
    look up a guide on creating a histogram of % error for your AFR. imho it's much easier to work in lambda. search for a tutorial on how to do this as there are a number of how to's and it will make your life much easier when multiplying changes into your VE or MAF table.
    03 z06 - p1sc blower

Tuner
    I created it, here is what I have. I still keep getting a misfire random misfire. I also have a stumble when I enter into Power Enrichment. Not to sure that I have the tables the way I need them. The injectors I have are 17113739 Delphi. I utilized http://ls1tuningguide.com/files/free...torscaling.htm to set my flow rate vs kpa. I feel like my tune is all over the place. Any suggestions on fixing it. Any suggestions for spark tables?

Test Run 7-18-14 0852 with 5.3 program.hpl
    Test Run 7-17-14 2135 with 5.3 program.hpl
    My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar calibration ready - 5.6 with flat flowrate.hpt
    My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar 5.6 with linear flowrate.hpt
    Last edited by kawilliams06; 07-19-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Are you sure you are getting a misfire? You need to step back your timing in the 1.6-2.8 RPM region (.16-.68 g/cyl). Look at your knock counts in the histogram. Your enrichment ramp in is .0195. Set that to 4. that's why you aren't going into PE. Make sure your VE tables are correct because it seems lean most of cruising.
    03 z06 - p1sc blower

Tuner
    The log file,Test Run 7-20-14 2153 with 5.6 program linear edited.hpl, is from my run last night into work. I ran this tune for the log My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar - 5.6 with linear flowrate edited.hpt. This is the tune file I was thinking about running to tweek the truck a bit this morning. My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar - 5.7 with linear flowrate edited.hpt

Any other suggestions for things to adjust? I was thinking about the boost enrichment and PE Table. Thanks for the looks and the assistance.

Here is my stock Radix tune before the 2 Bar install and the after
    Radix Tune My Silverado Radix Tune.hpt
    2 Bar Tune My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar calibrated and ready.hpt
    Last edited by kawilliams06; 07-21-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kawilliams06 View Post
    The log file,Test Run 7-20-14 2153 with 5.6 program linear edited.hpl, is from my run last night into work. I ran this tune for the log My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar - 5.6 with linear flowrate edited.hpt. This is the tune file I was thinking about running to tweek the truck a bit this morning. My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar - 5.7 with linear flowrate edited.hpt

Any other suggestions for things to adjust? I was thinking about the boost enrichment and PE Table. Thanks for the looks and the assistance.

Here is my stock Radix tune before the 2 Bar install and the after
    Radix Tune My Silverado Radix Tune.hpt
    2 Bar Tune My Silverado Radix Tune - 2 Bar calibrated and ready.hpt
    What cam are you running?
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    I made some changes to your tune, use the compare file to check them out. This will force speed density mode. No dfco and just stft. Your egr still installed? Cats still on?

Tuner
    POWEZONE: I'm just running the stock cam. I know GM came out with an upgraded cam that gives higher torque, but I havent gotten into the motor other than doing the intake replacement with the supercharger. Plans are to do a new exhaust system from headers back, headers got replaced with Gibson shorties, in October.

mecanicman: I am still running Cali cats, and still have EGR installed. As far as those go, when I replace the Cats I'm installing Random Technologies Metal Matrix high flows, and the EGR I wasnt planning on taking off, I could just disable it in place, or does that not work that way?

POWEZONE: I'm just running the stock cam. I know GM came out with an upgraded cam that gives higher torque, but I havent gotten into the motor other than doing the intake replacement with the supercharger. Plans are to do a new exhaust system from headers back, headers got replaced with Gibson shorties, in October.

mecanicman: I am still running Cali cats, and still have EGR installed. As far as those go, when I replace the Cats I'm installing Random Technologies Metal Matrix high flows, and the EGR I wasnt planning on taking off, I could just disable it in place, or does that not work that way?
    Looks like your part throttle areas needs some work.

Your avg. AFR is 15.3-15.4(slightly lean for a SC) and normally I like to see 14.4-14.8. You can also look at the data from your AFR error as well and see its lean.

I would start with the part throttle areas of the VE table.
    Last edited by POWERZONE; 07-22-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    [email protected]

Tuner
    what part, of the Main VE table, would you consider to be part throttle areas?

what part, of the Main VE table, would you consider to be part throttle areas?
    idle to 4000 rpm
    0-100 KPA

You can use this below as your base spark for your hi/lo octane. Don't worry it is conservative, but you can increase at 2* increments at a time and watch for KR and log if you are on the dyno for power measurements.
    BASE SPARK SC 1.JPG
    [email protected]

Tuner
    so I can use the whole table, or just the top, non-highlighted part?

so I can use the whole table, or just the top, non-highlighted part?
    The entire table. Make sure to copy them both to the hi/lo octane tables. Remember it is conservative and not the final spark advance especially in the areas where you see 7*. This should get you started in the right direction.
    [email protected]

Tuner
    Thank you very much for the assist. When I do get it dyno'd and tunes out correctly I will post the results. I'll flash the VCM tonight before I head into work and do a data log on it, to see how things are running. As for adjusting the AFR, should I do anything with the injector pulse or just leave it as is?