Thread: New guy here looking for some help please 04 ecotec 2.2 in off road buggy

Potential Tuner

New guy here looking for some help please 04 ecotec 2.2 in off road buggy

I have a buggy with a 2.2 out of a 2004 Pontiac sun fire
    I have turned off the vats and codes as needed and ran it a few times but cant get the fan to turn on with the set coolant temp
    it turns on anywhere from 170* to 200* and wont turn off until the key is cycled off, I can turn it on and off with the scanner though
    I am sure I have missed something, and not sure if I have all the torque management turned off
    if some one could take a look at the file and point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated
    #10 hptunners.hpt

What temps does the engine run at idling and when mobbing it?
    Last edited by codename Bil Doe; 07-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.

You IAT ignition off values for fan seem a little high I would think. Even with the engine being in a buggy and open, if you were running on a hot day or any time of day in AZ they'd never shut off. I would keep it coolant based if I'm interpreting its function correctly. Don't care about IAT when engine is off.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    did you try changing the fan setting under system-fans?
    they look stock to me
    fan 1 turns on at 204*F and then as it cools shuts off at 190*F i usually turn them on at 195* and shut them off a few under thermostat control temp. especially in an off-road car that will get abused.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-15-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Yes I have played around with all the fan settings up and down and it never really made a difference
    Im not sure I understand the key off perameters or how they would affect it ? if some one could clarify that would be great

Potential Tuner
    one time it will run up to about 210* before the fan comes on and the next time it will come on at 170* but only shuts off after key is turned off
    when the fan is running it will run between 185 and 195* the hole time and cycle up and down as the thermostat cycles open/closed
    it does have a 195* t stat in it
    Last edited by dnelson; 07-15-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Not sure if your fan works similar to the LSJ's, but in the LSJ's once the fan is turned on they will only shut off when the car is moving again or the key is cycled off. So did you connect the VSS sensor in your buggy?

Potential Tuner
    Yes vss is installed and working
    im thinking there must be somthing im missing to do with a/c or trans temp becouse it wont come on even at the set point, it seams to come on at diferant temp every time
    thanks again for looking into it for me everyone

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    well you did disable coolant temperature and fan codes. when you do that the ecu ignores those circuits 100%
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    thanks guys we have figured it out
    I have tried playing with turning codes back on and off didn't change the fan any
    after playing with my cobalt with a 2.2 in it to verify things
    I have found the engine fan will come on and stay on after 6 minutes no mater what the coolant temp is unless it sees a vss signal above 10 mph
    after the ten mph has been meet the timer restarts or engine temp takes over
    even when the fan has cycled a few times in side the 6 minutes the timer still takes over and turns it on until speed signal has seen 10 mph again
    both the 04 in the buggy and the completely stock 06 cobalt do this
    thanks to speedytec for pointing me in this direction, great info and help on here, keep up the good work gentleman
    hopefully this info will help some one out down the road
    if anyone has any more info as to how to eliminate this feature it would be great I have been threw things several times and do not see
    any parameters that have to do with vss and fan ??
    all though now that I have programed ppm to a realistic number it don't seem to hurt anything just would like to no