Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys do me a little favor?

I don't ever post on forums anymore, but I still keep up with the latest stuff. Lots of newer guys on this forum are figuring out some tables people never messed with. Kudos

And MikeM, no offense taken. The "base tunes" I posted on here, that I STILL see people show up with from some other "tuner" make me cringe and laugh that they are being copied still lol.... They dated back to before any of the actually helpful tables were ever available and made tuning these a lot smoother.

Advanced Tuner
    BYT I fully understand what you were doing and then and I'm glad you didn't take offense. I just think it's funny they are taking tables that are that old and calling it good without knowing what they are doing or why.

Couldnt agree more!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Nice to see you still frequent BYT!

Advanced Tuner
    Howdy BYT!

Cars still running great! I've made a few recent changes of my own since I've been learning from the fine folks on the board here and appreciate your support during the tuning of my EFR setup. I haven't made any changes to the auto trans with the latest beta version yet but will in the near future but my wife is having her fun with the car for a while so I don't get to drive it as much as I used to....

Advanced Tuner
    I have been playing with the new auto trans tables and they definately help out a ton. Not all the tables available are needed and I haven't messed with all of the tables yet for drivability in there. Shouldn't be needed but definately a lot of gains to be had from them.

Advanced Tuner
    That's good to know Mike. I'm curious to know what areas you've made adjustments to. This is the first auto trans car that I've owned and had a tune for and I've read about the changing shift rpm's and mph and pressures but I've not tested the waters yet. My "tuner in training" status really fits me perfectly.

Advanced Tuner
    Not a big deal Jimmy. I want to finish up some other tables and testing prior to creating a post on this but as soon as I'm done I will creat one that covers as much as I can with some detail to it. If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help. Fortunately for those tables they are very secretive in custom designs so a post on them should cover everything. The only thing I can see being custom tables is possible shift pressures though I don't see a big need for increasing those though only time will tell. They do unlock a lot of free power and I feel I have probably the fast Auto Trans Stock Turbo Tune out there due to this haha.

Messing with the shift pressure didnt net great results. But the shift speed was very helpful. On the HHR i dif aways back it would bang second while spinning. Not ideal onviously but just saying you can make it shift fast and firm! Ill post the auto tables tomorrow, you guys can try playing with them. Im on the phone now

Glad you like your car Jimmy!

Holy typos... Lol

Advanced Tuner
    My honest opinion on shift pressure is people like it because they feel it shift hard. That doesn't reflect more performance. If you were having issues with it shifting I could see where more pressure could fix it. That is a lot of the reason I haven't worried about those tables. Shift speed is definately ideal. You'll notice on a manual car that your rpm range is a lot wider as opposed to the auto which has a limited power range after shifting. It has definitely netted some improvement on increasing that range and allowing for more power. The torque tables is also where it is at. Like I said I will do a full write-up when I get a chance or I'll piggy back off of what BYT writes up.

Advanced Tuner
    Cool, cool cool... Thanks! With the EFR, I spin at will, be it from a stop all the way through second and into 3rd or from a 40+ mph roll. A lot of it has to do with the hard Eagle F1 tires and the fact that the car seems to be making a lot of power but getting the trans tuned will be a bonus on top of it all.

Thanks again!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Mickey Thompson 3780R
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I can still spin at will in first and spin the shift into 2nd with those very tires. This includes some torque limiting in first or it would be a useless gear.

I certainly don't spin in 3rd and I can't spin once I'm in 2nd on them though.

Advanced Tuner
    Topic is getting off track. Point is this tune should not exists at GmTech disappeared again. Haha.

Potential Tuner
    Hello everyone, I've been lingering in the shadows for quite a while now. The tune in question (mine) is the one I purchased from a pretty major vendor. I just felt that the LNF was going to be over my head when it came to tuning so I opted to purchase a tune in an attempt to take the easier route. I'm going to chalk it up as a lesson learned and start trying to tune this thing myself, with much more research and advice of course. I know that I'll be happier in the long run as long as I don't destroy anything. I'm not here to name names or place blame. Like I said, it was a choice I made and it just didn't pan out like I had hoped. I honestly didn't realize how crappy (potentially unsafe and not too far off from stock) the tune was until I compared it to my stock tune and received all of your extremely valuable input. I just don't know where to start. I don't no wether to start from a stock tune or start modifying the tune on the car now. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tommy
    Last edited by TommyEFR; 07-30-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    To be honest Tommy their is no specific way to start. We all have our own ways to end up to hopefully similar results. You can watch the guide videos and that will net you to a similar tune to the GM stage tune. I will say that will only scratch the surface but should give you a baseline for learning from there. Most important is logging the correct stuff so you can monitor things correctly and change accordingly. Lots of it is trial and error.

Potential Tuner
    I'm waiting on GM Tech to send me a better configuration file before I get started. I have a general idea on where to start with the tuning process, I meant I wasn't sure wether to start from scratch with a stock tune or start modifying the one I have now.

Advanced Tuner
    Start from stock since your learning.

It's like asking how to get from A to B with the LNF. You can take a bike, car, plane, different roads, etc. We all have different approaches to reach similar goals. Main point is you should get your money back. Then, read all the how to's several times in CCSOB's signature. From there, we can explain everything else and help you out with anything you don't understand. Tuning an LNF is much more difficult than any LS. But, it's not impossible. Just takes time.

After a quick glance at all the stuff screwed up on your tune, who knows what the shop changed, disabled, etc? Start with the stock tune.