Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you guys do me a little favor?

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, I'll start with the stock tune then. I'm on midnights so most of my tuning/ questions will be more towards the weekends. Thanks again, this thread on its own is going to be huge help.

Read lots of this lots of times, even if you don't understand the first couple times. Burning it into your head will give you an understanding once you start tuning because it will be more familiar:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides

More advanced stuff once you get the basics:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-tables-how-to

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...m-Torque-Table

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...uot-cam-timing

Quick understanding of the PID tables:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post346681

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Always start at point A when given junk. Every one here will make sure you get to point B in the safest manner. Plus they know who's watching them and we don't like to dissapoint.

If you have anything major going o. Upgrade wise we will need to know. Bolt on stuff like ic and pipes is not really a big deal gets sorted quickly but running opel injectors, stage cam upgrades, fuel lobe upgrade, and of course turbo upgrade we would need to know to guarantee you get handed proper data. If you have a methanol kit installed disconnect the pump power until your tune is solid then turn it on when you understand everything.

It's nice to meet you Tommy EFR. Tuning lnf can be a slow learning process and headache at times but I think you will find it to be a more rewarding and awesome experience in the long run. Welcome to the active side of HPT Forums!

Don't rush in quick when your ready the forum will be here to help

Potential Tuner
    I am studying and reading like there's no tomorrow, I've actually been reading and studying everyone's posts for quite some time now. This has been a very drawn out project for me. I have a Haan intercooler, DDM pipes, Magnaflow exhaust, modified stock air box with K&N drop in, zero internal engine work, catless downpipe, and an EFR 6758.
    I just want to thank all you of guys so much for sharing such a wealth of information. I'm sure that I'll be on here quite a bit while attempting to get my tune all lined out. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to do the same for someone else. I'm on midnights right now so I have to get some sleep. Tommy

Except for the pipes and the turbo, sounds just like my race setup (catless, HAAN ic). You may find you want to get rid of the k&n. Oil from the filter gets on the MAF and throws codes. 50/50 whether or not it happens to you. Stock paper filter works fine if you do start having that prob.

Advanced Tuner
    Tommy just a heads up (you don't come across like this but I figure I'll put the warning out) people will help out a ton but we don't give out the actual tables we use. Most of it will be trial and error. We will definately give advice and help with suggestions as much as possible. I will tell you it takes a lot of time and dedication to learn it and before you have a full ready tune (that you will still end up changing) it will most likely be months from now haha. I don't think tuning is for everyone or that everyone is even capable of it but do not let that deter you. Good luck and just ask questions or see if you can figure stuff out that we haven't and share.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey guess what? After a week and a half of hounding the vendor, the owner finally received a tune update that should take care of ALL of his issues!!! I'm sure you will all enjoy the extensive modifications and thought that went into this tune update. It must have taken the vendor hours and hours of sifting through logs and comparing new and old tune tables to come up with these fixes for this owner. If only other people that have paid for "tunes" from this vendor knew how hard he worked on updates. I'm impressed! not.

Advanced Tuner
    Nice! Not....

Tommy - your setup is pretty much identical to mine: 2009 Sky, EFR6758 (Wr-3), Solo Mach exhaust and cat, Werks intercooler and charge pipes, 3 bar sensors and K&N drop in. I am running a Devil's Own injection system and have the methanol set to start spraying at ~14psi. I've been reading through these forums until my eyes bleed on how to make decent changes and I have the scanner running just about every time I drive the car and I've made some nice progress as to where my tune was over a month ago. It was pretty good then but it just keeps getting better.

The unfortunate part is that I'm limited to 91 octane fuel and I'm at 3700 feet here.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    thats garbage
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    As you know, I've been tuning on my own using all of the valuable information that you guys have been nice enough to share and post here. That last tune update posted is not mine. I was supposed to run a scan on my paid for tune when the weather got cooler and send it in for an update but I never did. I decided to bite the bullet and learn to tune on my own instead. I'm really happy that I did. My tune now that I've been working on is actually progressing quite well (due to the wealth of knowledge shared here). I now understand what's going on first hand and can make the changes that I need right when I need them. Once I get get my tune all sorted, which should be within the next week or two, I will post it up and get all your valuable advice and input. I've still got a couple of things that I'm trying to figure/sort out. Tommy

Advanced Tuner
    lol Tommy, you're right, that update wasn't yours! I got you two mixed up, I forgot your tune was the one I posted here and not the other guy's. As you know, it's the same story though. For those that don't know, there's TWO guys with pretty much the same setup that were tuned by the same vendor and had pretty much the same results. The screenshot of the comparison was from the other guys car, not Tommy's.

One of the things that was pretty interesting about those two tunes is that they were TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Both cars have an almost identical EFR setup, and the hardware and tunes both came from the same vendor. So if you're a vendor and you sell two guys EFR kits, why on earth would you give them totally different base tunes? If you've done "over 40" EFR tunes, wouldn't you have a nice, solid base file that would go into all the cars with the same hardware/mods? None of the logic in either one of these cases makes sense.

Advanced Tuner
    From the looks of it these vendors need to stop tuning. Not just this vendor but all. It seems they do a great job with sales for the most part but absolutely horrible tuning abilities. My tunes are a little u orthodoxed I think vs others but specific reasons why. This baffles me that people could take no pride in there work and be ok with that when it deals with someone's car.

Advanced Tuner
    The vendor that's responsible for these tunes has caught wind of this thread and I'm sure he's monitoring it. Feel free to say anything you want to him directly here... I doubt he'll reply, but I know he'll read it.

To clarify my screenshot post...
    The differences shown are from the 2nd and 3rd tune files sent to this vendor's customer. They are the exact and total changes made to supposedly update the tune after looking at logs. I'm not positive when that customer started the tuning part of his build with the vendor, but I believe it's been well over a month. He is on tune revision #3 in that 5 or 6 week time period. The mistake I made was I thought I originally posted this 2nd customers tune for you guys to look at, instead it was the 1st guy's, Tommy. Same issues, same situation. Same points being made. The 2nd guy's base tune was actually WAY worse than the one I posted here (Tommy's).

And yes Mike, I totally agree and it also baffles me how someone could live with themselves running this kind of business. I take pride in every single job I do, even if 15 cars go through my stall in one day. I want to be able to look any one of those customers in the eye and be able to tell them I did my absolute best in taking care of their car. For me, it's all about Karma. I only want GOOD Karma coming back at me because I know good or bad, it WILL come back at me. And it usually comes back 10 fold. My family and I have been so incredibly lucky in our lives I think it's working!

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe I'm not the best tuner but doing what is best for a customer is best. I had to back track on one of my customers cars because of issues arising and actually losing some performance to keep it safe. We'll get it back but it's knowing the difference between what's right and what's not instead of just saying screw it I have his money. My goal is strictly fast reliable cars. I try to always make my tunes better all the time. I never just get happy with where I'm currently at.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    I never just get happy with where I'm currently at.
    Amen to that! Seems I'm always trying something and crunching numbers to see how it worked or didn't work....