Thread: tsp 228 cam idle tune

Tuner in Training

tsp 228 cam idle tune

I have done a lot of research on idle tune starting points/ tune . I flashed her and she will now idle on her own in P/N but I am having a hard time keeping it running in R/D .....Here is the tune . 1998 TA OEM LS1.hpt
    dont mind file name not the stock tune
    Mod list 98 ls1 a4
    TSP 228 cam
    ls6 intake
    volant CAI
    long tubes with 3" Y cats delete
    slp loudmouth

Senior Tuner
    try putting reasonable values in your base running airflow table, its currently maxxed. Find the russ k idle airflow config and run it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    try putting reasonable values in your base running airflow table, its currently maxxed. Find the russ k idle airflow config and run it.
    Thanks for the quick resonse! I will check out the russ k . I was using Jet DST and found that I am no where ready for that ! Ahh.....I see what you mean with the airflow table! I must have been getting tired when I did that . Thats why aircraft mechanics dont work alone

Best thing to do is start with a stock tune and then work from there. Increase your idle keeping the ETC ramp and Park/Drive variations. Add some airflow to the stock table (maybe 3 g/sec) and then run the idle logs to tweak the table. You will have to adjust the timing values (base, main, adaptive) as needed. As you are doing all this you will also have to keep an eye on your fueling error to keep that straight. If your fueling is off your airflow/airmass calculations are off and you will find yourself chasing your tail.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply I put in my "repaired" base airflow table. I posted the new tune in a first time tuner post. I thank you for your help so far and I hope I can maybe bounce some ideas off you as I go. Trying not to get frustrated I think I am "thinking too much into this , I am a professional Mecahnic and was a GM tech so I would hope I can learn to do this .

Tuner in Training
    found the russ K . Is there a thread on how to use the conf. live data and histograms to tune on the fly?