Thread: New to tuning need advice: Trying to tune open loop but AFR goes lean

Tuner in Training

New to tuning need advice: Trying to tune open loop but AFR goes lean

I have been trying to tune in open loop so that I can dial my MAF sensor in. I have followed the help file in HP tuners for setting up open loop. When I flash my open loop tune to my car it runs very lean ~20:1 verified with NGK AFRM WB and doesn't seem to get much richer. I am commanding 14.6AFR. Does this mean that I am not actually in Open loop or do I have a table that is that far off that it is changing my commanded AFR that much?

Any help would be appreciated, I am new to tuning so I want to find out if it is something that I am doing or if it is my tune.

7.12.14 rx7 MAF ONLY.hptopen loop lean2.hplMaf tuning.cfg

Senior Tuner
    I would check your wideband setup, does not appear to be correct.

Tuner in Training
    What looks off about it? I have the wideband dispaly also hooked up in the car and it reads the same values.

Senior Tuner
    you have narrow band o2 displayed and its displayed voltage does not corespond with your wideband displayed afr.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help! I never thought about relating the narrow band to the wide band. isn't a low mV on the narrow band a lean AFR?

What confuses me more is when I flash my original tune back to the car the AFR drops back down to close to what is being commanded.

Edit - I attached a scan with my original tune showing my AFR and the original tune that I started with.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by will_coop; 07-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Your narrow band is showing leaner then stoich, but at the 18:1 your log was showing I would expect the narrow band to be at 50 or less mv. I Suggest putting it back into closed loop and using stft to dial in maf.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Thanks, I will follow that guide and see if my results change.

Turn off the AIR pump.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Turn off the AIR pump.

Russ Kemp
    Interesting, would not have thought of that. Is it not already off? Disable temp is 14 and log shows running at 185?

Tuner in Training
    Do you mean the air pump for the emissions system? If so, I have the engine in a mazda rx7 and there is no emissions systems on the engine any longer.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this engine stock?
    If so, it should run pretty well on the stock tune.
    Did the ecm come with the engine?

I don't see in your 2nd log that you are logging both O2 sensors. Or stft. Not really even clear if it has gone to closed loop. Irregardless of the tune.
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Tuner in Training
    The engine is not stock. It has an ls6 intake, ported throttle body, tsp 228r 112 , and long tubes.

The ECM did come with the engine and I sent it to a well known tuner for a mail order tune when I installed the cam. The only thing I have added after the cam was the ls6 intake.

I am going to be switching to an ls3 air intake and maf but I wanted to get familiar with tuning before I did the switch.
    Last edited by will_coop; 07-14-2014 at 08:01 AM.

If your tunes change the fueling that much and the only real difference is OL vs. CL. Chances are your base tables are off and the car is just compensating. I did not have time to look at the logs, but how much have you been increasing the MAF table to try to compensate for this?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB