Thread: Disable AFM on 5.3

Potential Tuner

Disable AFM on 5.3

Hey Guys.
    I wanted to know how to disable the AFM system on a chevy tahoe 5.3 engine.
    Do i need to modify the engine or just change the tune. Or both can be done.
    here is the file
    gmc 2007 test.hpt
    I hope that i might get some suggestion

Senior Tuner
    Under Engine - Fuel - COT, Lean Cruise, in the middle you'll see "Displacement On Demand General" and right below it a switch that says DOD. Change that from Enable to Disable and then save and choose Flash - Write Calibration Only.

It's now disabled...present but disabled. After that, you can remove it mechanically, but that will require you to remove the heads to change the lifters.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Under Engine - Fuel - COT, Lean Cruise, in the middle you'll see "Displacement On Demand General" and right below it a switch that says DOD. Change that from Enable to Disable and then save and choose Flash - Write Calibration Only.

It's now disabled...present but disabled. After that, you can remove it mechanically, but that will require you to remove the heads to change the lifters.
    Thanks For replying.
    But I need some mechanical help.
    There are two type of lifters. One is the spring and other is the non spring lifter.i know that the spring lifters have to be replaced. But which type of lifters shall i use.
    Last edited by khaleej; 07-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khaleej View Post
    Thanks For replying.
    But I need some mechanical help.
    There are two type of lifters. One is the spring and other is the non spring lifter.i know that the spring lifters have to be replaced. But which type of lifters shall i use.
    If you're doing the mechanical delete then yes you need to turn it off in your tune...then you need a non dod/AFM cam new ls7 lifters and the non dod valley cover
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the suugesstions.
    In my region there are many 5.3 L engine trucks. Any most of them suffer from cam rod Or Spring lifters damage. If I turn DOD to off , will it prevent the spring lifters to get damaged.
    Replacing the lifters with non spring is kind of costly.
    So what you guys suggest

Tuner in Training
    +1....Ask for Greg Was at Pace Performance. He is great to work with....usually finds better prices than anywhere else. Most of our Pontiac club have ordered through Greg and say very good things.

Potential Tuner
    For what it's worth, my 5.3 in my Tahoe had a lifter fail with the AFM turning on and off while cruising the freeway. GM dealer charged me $5500 to repair it. Then it failed again a year later. I found a performance machine shop to repair it the second time. I contacted Brian Tooley racing who sold me a stage II truck cam, LS7 lifters, performance lifter springs, and rockers that don't lose the bearings. Basically everything mechanical at the cam and top end including the valley cover for disabling the AFM. Also upgraded the oil pump to hi flow.

Turns out the GM dealer replaced my cam with an "car" cam, and did not properly torque the valley cover (finger tight) where the oil pressure failed to provide enough pressure to properly function the AFM lifters.

Good news, the performance shop replaced all the GM dealer errors for half the GM cost, including the new parts!!! Tooley Racing suggested a "tuner" James at ShrotTuning who did an excellent job with the new cam tuning.