Thread: 5.3 swap, low timing at WOT

5.3 swap, low timing at WOT

Working on a buddies truck, this one has had some issues on both the mechanical end and the tuning end (my first speed density tune)

82 c10
    06 L33, ls6 cam, 1X cam sensor setup
    turbo 350 trans

The issue we are having is its not getting much timing at WOT, maybe 10-15* and its a dog. I can command 25 and it pulls hard and gets zero knock. I just cant seem to figure out why we are not getting much timing. the corresponding cell of the spark map call for 25-30ish* when we see 10-15 commanded advance. Not seeing any knock, IAT is good, coolant temp is good. i dont see any reasons for it to be pulling timing.

with this being my first speed density tune im still learning, he also still has a few kinks to work out. we are getting a p0343 cam sensor code and backfires on start up, likely from no cam signal, also he is not running a VSS.

any input on the timing issue would be welcomed

attached is the current tune and a short log file.
    82 c10 log file.hplgreg hahn 82 with 5.3 swap 7814 first tune of the day.hpt

I would try replacing the cam sensor first then go from there. I'm new to tuning, but I bet it has something to do with the cam sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Can you provide a log where you are WOT for more than a couple seconds? Right now on that log the only time I see you go WOT is right when it appears to be shifting gears and if it's only doing it during shifts there is lots of variables that could pull timing (torque management being the first that comes to mind).

If you can get a log from a dead stop going WOT or from a slow roll it would be a lot easier to see what your timing is doing at WOT.

that was supposed to be fixed when it came to be tuned, owner is currnetly looking into the issue. In the mean time i wanted to make sure there wasnt something i was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
    Can you provide a log where you are WOT for more than a couple seconds? Right now on that log the only time I see you go WOT is right when it appears to be shifting gears and if it's only doing it during shifts there is lots of variables that could pull timing (torque management being the first that comes to mind).

If you can get a log from a dead stop going WOT or from a slow roll it would be a lot easier to see what your timing is doing at WOT.
    i dont have many logs, not much WOT time, but i will post what i have.

edit
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 6speedblazer; 07-11-2014 at 06:15 PM.

The torque management is set to 350# max torque. Change that to 650, and zero out retard vs torque reduction and torque loss % vs Spark Retard. Then log it

greg hahn 82 with 5.3 swap 7814 timing tqm mgmt, fueling.hpt82 c10 log file 4 command timing WOT..hpli posted a log eariler but didnt put a tune with it.

this log and tune go together. this tune has torque management removed and we saw the same results. sorry for the confusion, i thought it was attached previously

You are getting timing pulled due to your IAT vs spark table. I'm seeing at least 6 degrees getting yanked from that alone.
    If you have no cats, clear out your cat lightoff table. I can't say it causes problems, but your abuse RPM under torque mgmt is 1600. Raise it to 8k or something. In your transmission settings, you've got it set for 4l60. Try changing it to no switch or manual. You have all kinds of settings in the transmission arena that might cause trouble.
    Max out torque mgmt settings as mentioned.

As for your cam sensor code, I've seen loose cam bolts cause that. Since you've got a hybrid arrangement, check your voltages at pins A,B&C at the plug and if good, check wires, pin for pin back to the PCM.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Thanks i will give that a try. Typically the iat is around ambient but on some of the later logs we stopped and made changes so the intake got a little heat soaked.

I will run through some of the 4l60e stuff this weekend and see how it does. Thanks for the help.

I completely understand. I know next to nothing, so just making observations, and trying to learn with you. BTW, I know Greg.

82 c10 log file 71314.hpl82 c10 log file 71314 torque mgmt trans settings.hpl82 c10 log file 71314 IAT.hpl82 c10 log file 71314 IAT changes after air intake mod.hpl82 c10 log file 71314 air intake changes.hplwell we were able to get the cam signal resolved today, aparently there was bad wire on the signal port to the pcm. ran a new wire and it worked.

so with no more cam code we got slightly more timing at WOT, zeroed out more tq mgmnt stuff, changed it to a manual trans settings. messed with the IAT table for timing.

air intake needs a little work, it was hot today and IAT were around 100-110 when driving so we got a little timing retard there. however we are still only seeing 20-25* WOT. Thats about 10* less than commanded. what am i missing?

greg hahn 82 with 5.3 swap 71314 IAT timing2.hptgreg hahn 82 with 5.3 swap 71314 IAT timing2 torque mgmt and trans settings.hptgreg hahn 82 with 5.3 swap 71314 IAT timing.hptwouldt let me add the tunes with the log files. so here they are. the tune names should be close to the same name for its corresponding log.
    Last edited by 6speedblazer; 07-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Anyone have any input. Gotta be something im missing

Senior Tuner
    take all the maf pids outof scanner and try again.

Tuner in Training
    You sure it is running on your high octane map and not the low? Is the timing lining up with your low octane map?

P.S. - I didn't download your tune at all to check

I don't understand what the discrepancy is? What am I missing? You are commanding arguably 19.0-20.0* of timing, and getting pretty much exactly that? Where are you getting that your commanded and actual are 10* different?

Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz View Post
    I don't understand what the discrepancy is? What am I missing? You are commanding arguably 19.0-20.0* of timing, and getting pretty much exactly that? Where are you getting that your commanded and actual are 10* different?

it would appear that you figured out where i messed up, i was reading the data wrong. some how i was seeing a lot lower cylinder air mass. that made me believe i should have been seeing more timing.

why is it that the histogram cylinder air mass vs engine rpm table does not match the cylinder air mass listed in the chart?