Thread: Can you overwrite one stock operating system with a newer one?

Question Can you overwrite one stock operating system with a newer one?

I am working on a project for someone. They have a 2000 5.3 PCM which contains programming for a cable-driven throttle body. Can I overwrite the 2000 PCM with an operating system of a 2003 or newer that will include the programming for the drive-by-wire throttle body and TAC module or will I have to get a PCM from that year range?

i've heard of DBC PCM's containing electronics for DBW. There's an article floating around somewhere about how to identify it. DBW 411 PCM's aren't that expensive. Cheaper than burning up credits to find out.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Senior Tuner
    03 Vette is the only 03 or newer V8 RWD vehicle I'm aware of that still used a blue/red (0411) pcm. The 03+ V8 RWD trucks use the blue/green pcms and you can not flash those files into the older pcms.

Senior Tuner
    You can flash a DBC OS into that PCM, but you'll need a matching TAC signal. Some 5.3 SUV's were DBC and some were DBW...I'm not sure if the car OS's are compatible with the truck/SUV TAC modules and vice versa. I think you can find a 1999-2002 file that is compatible.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat