Thread: 5.3L Swap Truck, dropping IDC, injector pulse, and going lean at WOT in second gear.

5.3L Swap Truck, dropping IDC, injector pulse, and going lean at WOT in second gear.

Tuning a 1979 Scottdales with a 2002 5.3L swap. Motor has a small cam and homemade intake and exhaust, stock other than that.

Truck has a 700R4 with no PCM speed signal.

VE and MAF part throttle are pretty close but it is doing something weird on the dyno (loaded mustang). With the 700R4 I cant lock it in second so I basically hit it from a slow roll and log/pull 1st and 2nd gear WOT. Truck doesnt have a lot of gear and is on 40" agriculture tires so im content with just pulled 1st and 2nd.

First gear pulls clean to 4800 ish no problem (there is a TV cable issue preventing it from pulling higher, also preventing it seeing 100% tps) Second gear every time it will go super lean (from mid 12's to mid 16's) in a heartbeat at approx 3600-4000 rpms (it varies). IDC and inj pulses drop like a rock when it occurs.

I have added fuel through the maf curve, ve table, played with dynamic entry airflow setting, added grounds to the motor, checked alt output during the pull, swapped mafs with a known good maf of the same part number. I cant seem to figure it out.

Adding 20% fuel through the maf curve will adjust the afr after it goes lean in second to low-mid 15s, but at the expense of it going low-mid tens as it pulls through first gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Ryan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

any guess's

ive tried everything i can think of. waiting on a manual trans segment swap back from support to rule that out as well.

could it be some with no vss to the pcm?

thanks

ryan
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

same thing with the manual segment swap...

I can't find what's wrong in your datalog, loaded parameters don't tell much

I can tell you what isn't wrong...
    MAF isn't the problem because it keeps sending correct signal. The commanded AFR is also correct.
    Lack of Vss doesn't cause that, I have done many swaps with TH350 and no Vss and they didn't behave this way.
    Power enrich seems correct, however I would change the delay to 0 and lower all enablers so it will enter PE based only on TPS. However PE isn't the problem because commanded AFR stays at 12.80 all the time.

You are logging many useless PIDs, delete all of them and include more useful information, keep the number of loaded PIDs to 23 or less.
    Set the tune to open loop, disable all trims and test again
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

any particular PIDs you suggest to help narrow down the cause?