Thread: Newbie looking for some help on my 2.2 LS Cobalt!

Potential Tuner

Newbie looking for some help on my 2.2 LS Cobalt!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and playing with cars, my dad however has many years of experience but now that i'm out on my own i'm looking to play with my Cobalt LS 2.2L a little. I'm just looking for some suggestions to help give it a little boost of necessary power/pickup. The jobs i'm looking for are preferably small and do on your own, however i'm open to any suggestions. Thank you for your future help and I look forward to seeing your suggestions!

-John

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    2.2 can't handle a ton of power so what power level are you trying to reach?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    I'm honestly just looking for it to have a little more pickup/power than what it currently has or whatever I can just top out at for a stock engine. I was thinking to maybe replace the manifold, up and down pipes, exhaust system, and putting in a cold air intake. I really don't have a certain amount of HP I'm aiming for.

well if your turbo you will have a up and down pipe otherwise its just a header. i would go header and tune it...the factory air boxes can flow over 300 and most have a port for cooler induction so i would save the money in case you want to go bigger later. if you go turbo you will need a set of rods and pistons because the factory ones are cast not forged. they deteriorate quickly over 8 psi boost.

Potential Tuner
    So if I was to just stay stock w/ no Turbo, I should replace the header, and go with the CAI/Exhaust system?

you can do the cai and exhaust but on the 2.2 you don't have adjustable cams to widen the power band your stuck with what you got. granted if you decide to build the lower end and go turbo a cat back will bolt to the turbo kits on the market and help flow but its personal preference.