Thread: 99 Z28 Torque Management Issue - Stock Auto Transmission

Potential Tuner

99 Z28 Torque Management Issue - Stock Auto Transmission

Hi all,
    Just received the HP tuner. Saved the stock tune to file. The first thing I did was to go into transmission / torque management and adjust the "abuse mode" settings to disable torque management.

I set the abuse mode to "disable", rpm, tps, and speed to zero.
    in torque reduction all the values were set to zero. Write calibration to upload file was next.

I took the car for a drive and it acts like the torque management is happening as soon as you step on the throttle. Don't have to step on it hard to say the least and it is taking effect.

I figured I did something wrong and uploaded the stock tune back into the cpu on the car. this made no change.

I thought I had made a mistake uploading the stock file as I am new to using the VCM Editor. I reconnected the HP Tuner and checked the presently loaded file and it matched the stock file exactly....

its like the CPU isn't recognizing the stock tune again - maybe the modification changes I made to disable the torque management triggered a trouble code and its in safety mode??

I would certainly appreciate any insight that you guys might have - or point me in a direction....

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Senior Tuner
    Your post is not very clear on what you did. And there is not really a safety mode.

Potential Tuner
    Hi,
    I just purchased and received the HP Tuner last week. I installed it on my laptop and opened up the program. I connected the cable from the laptop to the car and turned the ignition to run (did not start). I then went to "flash" and hit "read entire". Once prompted, I saved the file as "original factory tune".

I had been reading a few post that showed instructions on making some simple changes (what I thought were simple) with the torque management section under transmission. Here is what I did per the post:
    1. DISABLE ALL TORQUE MANAGEMENT – This will eliminate all torque management within the PCM. Ignore this step for a standard transmission (M6) and continue to step 2.
    A. Open the VCM Editor>Edit>Transmission>Torque Management
    B. Set Abuse Mode Enable = False
    C. Set Abuse Mode RPM, Abuse Mode TPS and Abuse Mode Speed = 0
    D. Select>Abuse Mode Torque Reduction vs. RPM. Set all values = 0

Once I made these adjustments I went to the "flash" menu and hit "write entire". Once complete (no errors while uploading) I disconnected the cable from the car and started it up for a test drive.

Once out of the driveway and in drive, I stepped on the accelerator - the car initially started to accelerate but immediately felt like a limiter kicked in that would not let it accelerate any further. It felt like it hit a wall and wouldn't accelerate anymore no matter what I did with the accelerator - could only get up to 30 mph. (It did shift during this test drive)

Back at the garage I went thorough the same process of getting the VCM Editor connected back to the car. I hit "read entire" and saved the file as "torque management abuse mode disabled". I figure I had messed something up and wanted to re-install the original "factory tune". I went to the "file" menu at the top left of the VCM Editor and hit "open". I located the original "factory tune" file and opened it - it appeared on the screen. From there I went to the "flash" bar and clicked on the "write entire" button. Everything loaded fine as it had done previously. I disconnected the cable from the car and started it.

I took the car for another test drive and it still had the same issue happening. I thought I had made a mistake uploading the file so I re-connected to the VCM Editor and hit "read entire". Once prompted I saved the file with a new heading (did not overwrite any files). From there I went to "compare files" section and opened the "original factory tune" file. I went to the transmission / torque management section and compared all the tables that were in the "abuse mode" section (where changes had been made) between the original factory tune file and the tune that was currently on the cars CPU and they were identical. it appeared that the original tune was back in the cars CPU.

is there something that would keep the cars CPU from reading the original tune file? or did I not follow a procedure correctly? I hope this is a better understanding of what I did and that it makes sense. This is all very new to me as you can tell (forum as well), Thank-you for responding to my question. Any insight would greatly appreciated!

Bob

Senior Tuner
    Post the tune file you think is the stock one and the one you think has torque management turned off. And stop doing write entires. It is not necessary if you are just changing data in the file read from the pcm. Write calibration is all you need to do.

<is there something that would keep the cars CPU from reading the original tune file?>

Questions like this are confusing. You read and write calibration files to the PCM with the HP Tuners Editor. The PCM itself doesn't read anything. It executes the code that is in it.

Potential Tuner
    Attached (I hope they are attached as this is my first time trying) are the tune files.

Understand the write entire & calibration - will only use write calibration until I better understand the program

wasn't trying to be confusing with the CPU question - still learning the terminology - thanks for clarifying ....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Download the file I'm posting and save it in a directory you can find it. Open your stock file in the editor. Open the file I am posting as a compare file. DO NOT WRITE MY FILE TO YOUR PCM IN ANY WAY. Compare>Open Compare File. Then Compare>View Comparison Log. Then right click Engine. Select copy over differences. Then right click Transmission. Select Copy Over Differences. Then Save File As and pick a new file name. Write Calibration this new file you just created to your vehicle. All Tq Management will be disabled.

9381344_A4_323_No_TM.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Thank-you for sending the file
    I followed your instructions to the letter and was successful with writing the calibration the pcm. I took the car for a drive and it still has the same issue. You step on the gas, it starts to accelerate and then hits wall. (I can get the car up to speed by lightly stepping on the gas pedal - just staying ahead of the engine as it accelerates)
    The car ran fine and then I used the HP Tuner to modify the torque management and now have run into this problem so I logically thought I had programmed something incorrectly. still not sure....

It almost feels like the engine is going lean when it noses over (hits the wall). Would a lean condition feel the same as torque management taking place?
    I'm wondering if I have a coincidental problem possibly happening with the fuel system. it would be very coincidental but possible....

I appreciate all the help your providing, any advise on what the next step might be would be great.

Thank-you!

Senior Tuner
    Load this config in the scanner and data log it doing it and post the data log file.

Default Imperial_1All_A4.cfg

Potential Tuner
    Yesterday I noticed the battery on the car was almost dead (probably due to the daylight headlights being on while HP Tuner is hooked up)
    Anyway, I charged the battery all night and then uploaded the file that had the torque management removed again. I'm not sure what happened (I'm sure it was my error) but the car runs great now.

I really appreciate all the help you have provided! - This forum is an incredible resource. Will be looking for a good tuner in the Roseville California area to help me out from now on - have heads and cam coming for it and need someone with more experience to make adjustments. I'm really amazed at all the functions that can be altered with this software.

Thanks again -
    Bob