Thread: First log indicating Rich

Potential Tuner

First log indicating Rich

Just got an 04 GTO a week ago and HP Tuners a few days ago. car was originally in California and I'm in Iowa so that explains why it's rich at WOT.I have been reading for a few hours but before I change anything just want some others to take a look. Below is what was added to the car.
    MAGNUSONS SUPER CHARGER

DIFF TECHNICS 3.91 GEAR

LS7 CLUTCH

LS7 FLYWHEEL

CORSA CAT BACK EXHAUST

CAT-LESS MIDPIPES

MOROSO DB REDUCER

JBA HEADERS

K&N COLD AIR INTAKE

90MM THROTTLE BODY

90MM MAF SENSOR

SNOW PERFORMANCE METHONAL INJECTION

PATRIOT PERFORMANCE LS6 STAGE II HEADS (650 MAX LIFT)

HARLAND SHARP ROLLER ROCKERS (1.8)

383 STROKER ENGINE

WEISCO PISTONS

SEAT RODS (I BEAM)

LS7 CRANK

COMP CAMS CAMSHAFT (242/248 DEGREE-.648/.650) CUSTOM GROUND FROM COMP CAMS

AROMOTIVE STEALTH 340 LPH FUEL PUMP

TRICK FLOW 60LB INJECTORS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rlarson; 06-28-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Just to ask the silly question: Are you observing that it is running rich on a wideband? What is the PE AFR and what are you observing? If you are running one of the enhanced OS options, what is the Boost AFR?
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    sorry was tring to upload while your responded cant get the csv to upload

don't have a wideband on the HP Tuners yet but I uploaded the Dynojet commander
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rlarson; 06-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.

It looks like its doing what you're telling it to.

Take a look at your power enrichment EQ ratio table. To translate that into AFR take your programmed stoich value (14.681) and divide it by the values in that table. For example, at 6,000 RPM your EQ ratio is 1.4609. 14.681/1.4609 = 10.05. At the 17.69 record in run1.txt, it looks to have logged an AFR of 10 for 6,095 RPM. Granted, I only spot checked one value, so it may be off at another point. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself

Oh, FWIW, the target AFR at WOT for a forced induction vehicle is different than what you may be used to for something running naturally aspirated. Conventional wisdom seems to be to start around 11:1 and go up or down from there as needed (someone feel free to chime in with a contrary/more educated opinion).

When I got my vette, the "tuner" that tuned it for the previous owner had the AFR dipping into the mid 9's. I'm in the process of rectifying that situation right now

Corollary thought number 2: Don't just go in there and change the PE EQ ratios and assume that it will be good. I would expect that whoever tuned it previously adjusted timing on a dyno so that it was running efficiently at the AFR commanded by the tune. If you make it more lean (going from 10 to 11, for example) without touching the timing, you may introduce knock or, worst case, blow something up.

Read, read, read, read some more, start small and see how things change as you make adjustments, get a wideband that you can log with HPTuners, etc.

Measure twice, cut once, or whatever the corresponding tuning-related nugget would be.