Thread: FNG Checking in...

Tuner in Training

Question FNG Checking in...

Representing JMS Racing Engines.

We are looking to buy the full VCM Suite. Any Input is appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance for the help!

http://jmsservicecenter.com/

https://www.facebook.com/jmsservicecenter

The home page has all the info you need to buy the software and anything you'd need.

Go for the pro version if you use a wideband and want to make it really easy to log it. The pro version has other smaller perks aswell.

And welcome to the forum.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. Most of what we do (vehicle wise) is LS installs into older vehicles, where we need to disable EVAP and those types of related systems that will no longer be used. We have an engine dyno, but not a chassis dyno, so the tuning we do will be minor. Mostly timing and fuel trim adjustments.

We were thinking about the Pro version.

How is product support??

I've seen lot of complaints about the fact that there is zero phone support. I've also seen lots of threads indicating there is no real need for phone support, cause the product is just that complete!

What are your guys thoughts on existing product support, and what is the best way to get it??

How long does it usually take?

Thanks in advance once again.

If you're going to be adjusting timing and fuel at anything other than idle/cruise, then you need a wideband and the pro version is a wise investment. If you're going to do it, do it right. The net cost difference isn't much and if it saves you from grenading a single customer motor, then it will have paid for itself many times over.

I can't speak to support for anything like a professional shop directly from HPTuners. I have only ever had a couple of technical issues and they were responsive to email support for me. Their support will focus on the product, not on how to tune. If you need assistance with the how side of things, the forum can be a good reference. Some people bitch about posting a question and not getting immediate responses from the community, and that does happen, but if you take the time to do your homework and you're truly stuck, there are a number of great minds that do get involved and help out. If you're being lazy and asking a question that has been answered a dozen times and comes up 5 times on the first page of search results, then yeah, you will probably get ignored. Having said that, I think that to be true of virtually every online community. With the exception of the HPTuners staff who monitor the forum and field questions, nobody here is paid to contribute.

If you need help on how to tune and if you'll be doing a lot of it, I would highly recommend the material through "The Tuning School". It is pricey (a much more significant investment than the tool itself), but it is solid material. One thing that you may like about it, given your question, is that they do offer "how to tune" support. Some duration (6 months?) comes with a purchase and you can extend that. They also do live courses from time to time if you're the travelling sort. Greg Banish also has a book and two DVDs about tuning GM EFI using HPTuners and a competing product that are solid.

If you look on this forum and others (search box up top) you will find threads comparing HPTuners to competing product that may help you finalize your decision.

As a shop, be certain that you understand the licensing model for this tool and the others. Be certain that you understand the list of supported vehicles. If you're going to put a Frankenstein combination of PCM/BCM/etc. into a vehicle consistently vs the guts of a single donor car make/model, then I would be sure that I understand what complications that adds. One thing to know is that with the most recent software update, all enhanced OS options are now free. This can be a significant cost savings (2 credits per vehicle unless you buy make/model/year or generation licensing).

Hope that helps, continue to do your homework, and good luck
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06