Thread: Tune or Mechanical? torque converter

Tuner

Tune or Mechanical? torque converter

I am still having trouble with 3-4 shift and lock up kicking in and out in 4th, but would someone mind looking at my tune and log, it could be a tune issue. I had a pressure gauge on tranny and the pressure goes way up when shift is commanded and stays high for 4 or 5 seconds(but doesn't shift) then pressure goes down, then 2 or 3 seconds after that it slides into 4th. the 2 problems might not be related, any ideas? 1-2.2-3 are very quick. this is not a daily driver, maybe a thousand miles a year. it is about 440 whp. don't expect trans to last 5 years. Just want it to shift quick now.

LT1 383 11.4 comp 26/18 Diamond pistons, AFR 195 Eliminator heads 238/246 605/618 110 cam 36 lb injectors, 390 gears 9", 3600 Circle D, 24x LS1 conversion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I researched the TC tuning and I think I have it correct, 90 and 100 but it still kicks in and out. Does anyone know what holds the converter in? I presume its electric activating the pressure? So it could be the tune?

Tuner in Training
    First off, you need to log some more PID's to see what you want to see.
    Trans Current Gear
    TCC Mode
    TCC slip rpm
    Force motor current

It helps to have the current gear & TCC mode plotted on your chart display as well.

Quick look at your tune... I would disable shift lock. your TCC duty cycle looks right. Any reason why you have 3>4 desired shift Time set @.350?
    Your TCC release tps, 4th gear release is set to 16%... is your converter locking at real light throttle then unlocking as you get into it? about 16% tps?
    "TCC Release TPS vs. Speed - Normal: Normal Mode TCC Release throttle position. If TPS exceeds this value TCC will release."

Tuner
    Thanks I will check those out. On the shift time, what does the number listed stand for? Is smaller or larger number desired? Is it the time the trans try's for? I am just learning and as you seen I am having trouble with 3/4 and converter lock up.

Tuner in Training
    Shift time... the larger the number, the longer the transmission takes to complete the shift. That may explain some of your lazy shifts. I have seen some people zero out the shift time tables so that the only limiting factor is the mechanical part of the transmission; however, decreased commanded shift times also make for abrupt, sometimes violent shifts, esp with a shift kit.

Have you used any of BlueCat's software? That will give you a pretty close starting point.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spent21 View Post
    Shift time... the larger the number, the longer the transmission takes to complete the shift. That may explain some of your lazy shifts. I have seen some people zero out the shift time tables so that the only limiting factor is the mechanical part of the transmission; however, decreased commanded shift times also make for abrupt, sometimes violent shifts, esp with a shift kit.

Have you used any of BlueCat's software? That will give you a pretty close starting point.
    The tranny is awesome except 3/4 shift and the TC lock up. I got most of tuning info from HPTuner, but I must of missed shift/speed. I will correct and test. thanks

Tuner

The converter kicks in and out at 55 or 60 or 65, 4 or5 seconds on then kicks out even at cruising speed?

Tuner in Training
    did you change your TCC release tps setting? see post #3.

Tuner
    did you change your TCC release tps setting? see post #3.
    No I didn't, when cruising at 60 mph my TPS is only 10% so I don't think 16% is that sensitive. Do you think its to sensitive?
    Getting ready to post a trans log. The 3-2 duty is at 100% that doesn't make sense to me. will post soon. thanks

Tuner
    I logged all that I thought would be helpful. I tried to log current gear but with no success. On one log I show the TCC but it says off the entire log? not sure bout that? this is first time I have logged trans info, so I am just now learning it. Tomorrow I am going to work on it some more an log everything you asked about. I also thought about disabling the tcc lock up and see if that effects my 3-4 shift.
    Last edited by 540gts; 07-10-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Tuner

cfg,log, tune

Here is the trans log, I think I got everything. Not sure of a few things. 1 why TCC says OFF when I can feel and see(RPM drop) it lock? 2 Not sure why 3-2 solenoid show 100% all the time? 3 Not sure why TCC PWM duty cycle shows zero all the time? This is a 95 4L60E with 2000 LS1 PCM controlling it.

I am posting new log, cfg and current tune.
    Last edited by 540gts; 07-13-2014 at 11:48 PM.