Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prediction Coefficients

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Does it ever end? Will I ever not have a laptop in the passenger's seat?
    LOL...i agree. I have an aeroforce that sits in the center stack that is really quiet . I would really like to go to using it to monitor and leave my tuning laptop at home for awhile. But cant ever seem to get it just right. Maybe its novice problems or im stuck to road tuning that makes it an endless cycle.
    Last edited by JBZ; 08-25-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    I did the constant logging and adjusting thing for a couple of seasons. I finally realized that it will never be perfect. Now I leave the laptop at home and drive the car. Much more enjoyable. My advice would be don't drive yourself crazy. As long as the car runs good, and nothing is obviously too far off, just enjoy it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    I did the constant logging and adjusting thing for a couple of seasons. I finally realized that it will never be perfect. Now I leave the laptop at home and drive the car. Much more enjoyable. My advice would be don't drive yourself crazy. As long as the car runs good, and nothing is obviously too far off, just enjoy it.
    yeah I believe I will have to come to that point eventually. not being a pro or having the correct tools (I.E. Dyno) there is only so much I can do. I am trying to tune my VVE again and that has me struggling to understand volumetric efficiency. but otherwise most things seem to be OK.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    I tried to zero out the predicted tables once. Don't recall the exact details, but it made burst knock go bonkers. I happen to like the burst knock feature (I know some just kill it), so ended up just going back to the OEM settings.

Looks like I have something else to experiment with..... Does it ever end? Will I ever not have a laptop in the passenger's seat?
    No kidding?! I think you may have just solved an issue I have been dealing with regarding burst knock. See my thread on it here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...st-knock-issue

Is that what happened to you as well with burst knock when you zero'd out the prediction coeff? I get this repeated triggering of BKR. Check out the pic in my post.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to look. I do recall posting about it, just not when, where or why...lol

Tuning Addict
    Zeroing out the prediction coefficients seems to screw with cylinder air mass calculations. An example of this is to zero them out then do a pull. The first pull will be lower in the air mass cells and have the equivalent spark knock to put timing right where you have it in the higher air mass cells. After the time out period it does some sort of cancelation on this part of the equation and goes back to registering in the correct air mass cells. For what ever reason it won't do this reset for the burst knock, SO you have to either substantially detune it or zero it out. Not sure why it doesn't screw with the regular knock parameters the same way, but they don't seem to be affected.

Advanced Tuner
    I zero out the coefficients and turn off burst knock and its perfect. Doesn't worry me at all to turn bk off.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuning Addict
    If timing is dialed in, you shouldn't have any problems IMO...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to look. I do recall posting about it, just not when, where or why...lol
    I'm with you in that I like the idea of burst knock as well. Especially for a positive displacement blower like I am running. They just throw so much boost at the engine so fast. I get KR when banging gears and shifting hard, but if I shift smooth, it will take the timing with no problem. So the idea of being able to pull a very brief amount timing back as it barrels into boost is really a nice feature for a PD blower application.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If timing is dialed in, you shouldn't have any problems IMO...
    Not when forced to use shitty fuel. I also find it prevents aggressive downshift and throttle KR. I do however dial it back significantly.

Not when forced to use shitty fuel. I also find it prevents aggressive downshift and throttle KR. I do however dial it back significantly.
    I leave it active (read somewhere's deactivation can cause hidden issues) and multiply the table by .2 just to leave a little bit :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuning Addict
    Nearly every application I do is a positive displacement blower. I don't have any problems with this. Perhaps what I thought wasn't the best fuel actually is decent? I also thoroughly dial in transient fueling, injection timing and of course ignition timing in a somewhat controlled environment though.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    I leave it active (read somewhere's deactivation can cause hidden issues) and multiply the table by .2 just to leave a little bit :-)

Ed M
    When you say that you leave "it" active...are you saying that you leave prediction coefficients active? Or leaving burst knock active?

Advanced Tuner
    Nearly every application I do is a positive displacement blower. I don't have any problems with this. Perhaps what I thought wasn't the best fuel actually is decent? I also thoroughly dial in transient fueling, injection timing and of course ignition timing in a somewhat controlled environment though.
    Do you have a rule of thumb for injection timing that seems to work for PD blowers? Or is this something that varies a decent amount on each set up?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Do you have a rule of thumb for injection timing that seems to work for PD blowers? Or is this something that varies a decent amount on each set up?
    Injection timing is based off of your cam and the valves opening/closing events vs your injection start and end. Its pretty fun to play with and i saw a noticable (and i only know from my butt dyno and watching the wb) difference.

By the way Gregs the man when it comes to injection timing...sorry Greg to throw you under the bus like that im so anxious to throw my car back on the dyno and see wht gains it made...if i feel it then it has to be some what substantial.
    Last edited by JBZ; 08-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Under the bus? Not sure how you threw me under the bus Just glad your liking it Josh - think your really going to like the gains that the ability to add timing will give you

I pretty much do injection timing different than anyone out the cc-rider... As Josh and others have seen - it even works rather well with stock cams...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Under the bus? Not sure how you threw me under the bus Just glad your liking it Josh - think your really going to like the gains that the ability to add timing will give you

I pretty much do injection timing different than anyone out the cc-rider... As Josh and others have seen - it even works rather well with stock cams...
    Got it. I'll PM you. I know you do this for a living and I completely respect that, and I have no qualms about paying some money to have you help me dial this in.

I appreciate each of your input, there is not much on the 4 cylinder board when it comes to my 2.4SC\E67 combo.
    I will make the request.
    The explanations about the volume and the estimated MAP maximum gives me hope.

Advanced Tuner

Lol...i was kind of joking but kind of not. I was a pest and dont want to name drop you as the guy who can make it happen and get people knocking your door down.

Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Got it. I'll PM you. I know you do this for a living and I completely respect that, and I have no qualms about paying some money to have you help me dial this in.
    And on that same note as above. I learned alot from Greg and also from all the leg work i did to understand injecting timing for myself. I absolutely dont mind sharing what i know with you as well and atleast get you the basics of what you need to find out your current injection events. Now for calculating where you want it to be...i can only tell you what worked for me and what greg has told me and posted in other threads as the limits... Im pretty sure its a lot of trial and error.

Here is a great thread that gives a lot of info on injection timing. Start on page two and do what i did...read it about 400 times.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...for-help/page2
    Ohh and i see no KR anymore.
    Last edited by JBZ; 08-25-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll read through that. Thanks for sharing. And I know what you mean by read through it 400 times to understand it. But that's what makes self tuning kind of a challenge and fun.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners