Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGK AFX accuracy

Advanced Tuner
    Any discrepancies with the AFRM compared to the AFX ?

I didn't bother switching them out.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    My ngk unit died and they discontinued the gen 1 and support for it so I have been waiting on the new one. I run one of them in one bank and the FAST dual unit in the other and compare them.... the NGK was better but I have the FAST still so have been running it
    Ballenger Motorsports is continuing support with the harnesses, sensors (more options now), connectors and controllers with the AFR500 here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/2337.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Oh, so on my race car I melted the harness plug where the O2 sensor plugins into the master harness. We can't separate the plugs anymore. I called up NGK asking if I could just buy those plastic connectors so I could re-pin the harnesses. Nope. I have to buy a new harness + O2 sensor. Might as well buy a new unit. Oh well.
    We have the new connectors for both ends of the AFX as well as the sensor side connector. You likely just need the connectors which are CONN-00121 & CONN-00110 here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/ind.../cPath/103_108

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    $20 and a hammer will get you back going. Ballenger Motorsports sells the connectors, and you can just smash the melted plug to get it apart. I've done it once or twice (or four times).

The new NGK wideband is not made by ECM. I wouldn't expect as good of accuracy (although it's unproven).
    This is accurate, the NTK AFRM is not an ECM product. The sensor is different, has no current replacements and branches from the ECM product. I don't want to double post so I answered a lot of the questions here:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...highlight=afrm

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
    Is that right? Who makes the new version then?
    NTK themselves. A product group in Japan designed them around an entirely new sensor that has no availability presently. The way the new sensor is made, it *should* be more like a Bosch sensor in environments like leaded fuel. Time will prove this out one way or another.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    The new NGK unit is out now.

What's the part number on the latest and greatest NGK AFX unit? The gage/block reads in lambda on the new units?

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
    What's the part number on the latest and greatest NGK AFX unit? The gage/block reads in lambda on the new units?
    96604 . It is now called the NTK AFRM. No replacement sensors are currently available, it does not work with the NGK Powerdex AFX sensors or harness and is not from the same designer. The new NTK AFRM can be programmed to read in lambda where the old Powerdex AFX and currently offered Ballenger Motorsports AFR500 cannot.