Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 gtp

04 gtp

I'm having problems figuring out how to richen up my car throughout the entire rpm range. It's running off my wb lean at idle and at wot it's 13.0afr. I tried 50% on my maf tables but it didn't make much difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmuts View Post
    I'm having problems figuring out how to richen up my car throughout the entire rpm range. It's running off my wb lean at idle and at wot it's 13.0afr. I tried 50% on my maf tables but it didn't make much difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    going to need more info on the car. are the injectors stock, any motor work done, etc. if you added 50% to the entire maf table it should have done some weird things...
    - 2001 Grand Prix XGT -- 11.57@122MPH
    - 2010 Chevy 2500HD LTZ -- Car hauler
    - 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive -- Wife's Daily
    - 2008 Ford F350 -- Under powered Pile O' Shit work truck

Post the tune dan.

And the mods. Stock MAF?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

how do i post the tune? I have an s1x cam, zzp headers, fsic, lq4 maf, 42.5# injectors.
    04 Grand Prix Comp G. zzp headers, s1x cam, fsic, lq4 maf, 3.25"

newcompg.binnewcompg50%maf.bin

Here is my tune then my tune with 50% on the maf tables.

Are you using HPT or DHP?

I need to see the HPT file for us to see what it looks like.

But first, you need to right stuff for the 42.5 and stock LQ4 maf table. You should never trying adding 50% to anything, and for sure not the MAF table. Having the correct maf numbers should get rid of being lean at idle. Then you just have to watch the wideband as you drive and it shouldnt change much.

I'd not use the MAF table as the first resort to getting more fuel. In HPT they have the commanded AFR and there should be adders that can add a small amount of fuel over time, either leave those stock or zero them out and command 11.0 to start, if it goes richer then you can take away fuel from there and go to 11.5.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I've been using dhp as I'm more used to it but I can get a scan with hpt. I'm using 42.5 tables and lq4 tables. I added another 25% to the maf table and now it's not leaning out all the way while driving and my wot aft is in the 12's but I know it's not right. The commanded afr is just for wot isn't it?

Yes, cmd afr is just for wot.

Go back to the stock maf table, think about how the table works. If you are telling the car there is 25% more air coming in but in reality there isnt, you might be having a problem. The most I've ever added to the MAF above 7,000 hz was maybe 2-3% to get an extra .2 or .3 of fuel when watching my wideband.

If the maf is right and the stoich and injectors stuff is right it should run completely normal when not entering PE.

I can't really help much more without seeing the hpt tune file, I dislike DHP. You could watch the commanded afr in the scanner if you add it to the table, will pretty much tell you what the car is wanting to run.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 06-22-2014 at 10:43 AM.

I'm thinking my car is stuck in open loop. How would I go about swapping it back to going into closed loop?

Tuner in Training
    Without reading all the previous posts, I am assuming you have a PE table in the Engine Fuel section of the tune? It is pretty much all I use in my 1999 GTP to adjust my AFRs. If so, let me know and I can tell you what I'd do to that table!

Tuner in Training
    I'm thinking my car is stuck in open loop. How would I go about swapping it back to going into closed loop?
    well you will need to change the closed loop enable ECT back to a reasonable number or plug in the upstream O2 sensor. did you do something specific to put it in open loop?

I didn't do anything to put it in open loop I just guessed it was since it won't lock onto the 14.7 like it's supposed to. The ect is set at 48*

Tuner in Training
    I didn't do anything to put it in open loop I just guessed it was since it won't lock onto the 14.7 like it's supposed to. The ect is set at 48*
    im not sure what you mean by lock. most cars wont ever "lock" mine generally floats at idle from like 14.4 to 15.0. you generally wont ever see 14.7 while crusiing unless you are on a flat road with the cruise set and very little load on the motor.

well mine is running about 16-pegging out the wb lean.

Tuner in Training
    newcompg.binnewcompg50%maf.bin

Here is my tune then my tune with 50% on the maf tables.
    im not sure what you changed in these two files. the MAF table is the exact same?

I don't understand why you keep adding to the MAF table, though I can't see the files, that is totally the wrong thing to do.

Run the stock LQ4 maf table, have the correct injector stuff and it should idle around stoich, but might go lean some with a cam.

Who's know, your WB might be bad. Watch commanded afr and see if that in anyway matches the wideband.

You should read my open loop maf tuning guide. But first you need to set the open loop afr vs coolant temp 14.7 at operating temp. Leave the cold temp cells stock. Next zero the afr adder table as it raises the commanded afr and leans out your fuel in open loop. Also set your pe base vs ect to what ever wot you want and zero the pe adder vs rpm vs time table.

And I tune the maf table on 100% stock vehicles to get the actual afr to match the commanded. And with a larger than stock maf, it will be leaner than stock. What brand injectors do you have? Are you sure that they are 42.5 lb/hr? As I've never had to raise the maf by 50%. Is the maf new or used? As I've seen a lot of bad mafs that cause lean afr. Also check for vacuum leaks by spraying water around all the intake/supercharger gaskets & throttle body.

Russ Kemp

WB is brand new. I was running lq4 and 42.5 tables. Idles off the wb lean. ltft never moves. Commanded is never close to the wb.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    You should read my open loop maf tuning guide. But first you need to set the open loop afr vs coolant temp 14.7 at operating temp. Leave the cold temp cells stock. Next zero the afr adder table as it raises the commanded afr and leans out your fuel in open loop. Also set your pe base vs ect to what ever wot you want and zero the pe adder vs rpm vs time table.

And I tune the maf table on 100% stock vehicles to get the actual afr to match the commanded. And with a larger than stock maf, it will be leaner than stock. What brand injectors do you have? Are you sure that they are 42.5 lb/hr? As I've never had to raise the maf by 50%. Is the maf new or used? As I've seen a lot of bad mafs that cause lean afr. Also check for vacuum leaks by spraying water around all the intake/supercharger gaskets & throttle body.

Russ Kemp
    Lucas injectors. I'm sure they are 42.5 they haven't given me any problems until lately. Used maf but seems to be working ok. No vacuum leaks

Tuner in Training
    WB is brand new. I was running lq4 and 42.5 tables. Idles off the wb lean. ltft never moves. Commanded is never close to the wb.
    do you mean that you have your wideband setup to simulate a narrow band signal for the computer? or do you mean the wide band reads lean while at idle. if when in PE (and i dont mean go beat the shit out of it for testing) the commanded in the PE table doesnt match the wideband its because the MAF or the injector table is way off. what else is done to the fuel system? how many miles? also if you havent yet go into the PE tab and zero out the add vs. tps table.

also, you say LTFT never moves...what does it read?