Thread: Balance Rates

Balance Rates

I searched and there hasn't been a thread about balance rates in a long time. The topic here is about a method of checking the balance rates that is different from what I've seen before. See the thread below.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...nce-rates.html

Now if you go to the end of the thread you will see my screen shots and questions. Is the HPTuners Scanner different from others? Why am I being told all of my injectors are bad but disassembly of the motor showed that #1 was the bad one (he says that is the good one)? Plus, the truck runs great.......I'm confused

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by speedsk899; 06-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Tuner in Training
    Balance rates are trying to even out the engine rpm to give a smoother idle. If there is a weak cylinder (low compression), it may also cause the balance rates to be off. I have rarely seen the balance rate test and return rate test show the same things. I rely on the return rate test for injector diagnosis. It has been more reliable for me. If you only look at balance rates, 80% of the trucks on the road have bad injectors.

Thanks for the info. That clears up why the info I was getting from that thread didn't match up with my truck.

Just being curious I did a little searching on the return rate test. Do you have the fancy tool or do you have a "DIY" set up to test it?
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Tuner in Training
    I work for a GM dealer, so I use the "fancy tool." Its nothing more than 4 graduated cylinders, hoses, and adapters to connect to the injector return port.

That does seem pretty simple. I may look into buy a couple sets of the return hoses amd making my own.....
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax