Thread: Iat spark advance correction differences?

Iat spark advance correction differences?

I have been chasing down this KR from the tq converter to chasing down things loose in and outside the motor.

I looked at my IAT timing and noticed that mine was still set for the stock 99 TA setting with 10.1 comp.
    STOCK 99 TA IAT TIMING TABLE 10.1 COMP.JPG

I had a file for a 05 GTO and noticed that the 10.9 motors subtract more timing at higher IAT's.
    05 GTO 10.9 comp.
    05 GTO IAT TIMING TABLE 10.9 COMP.JPG

I also found a tune in the respository with a 99 TA with 10.9 comp
    99 TA IAT TIMING TABLE 10.9 COMP.JPG

Here is another TA with 11.5 comp but looks like they are running a newer PCM/ECM.
    99 TA IAT TIMING TABLE 11.5 COMP.JPG

I am now running a 370 with a 11.2-11.3 comp.
    My question is should I be running more IAT spark correction than the stock with a 11.2-11.3 comp motor? This may solve some of my random KR at 120F+ temps.

Or am I stretching and I should leave it alone?
    Last edited by STR8BALLN; 06-19-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Tuner
    Is your IAT running that high? Mine was so ?I relocated it and now it's runs cooler but still accurate. I have aluminum air intake and it was getting heat soaked , along with the underhood temp causing it to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by 540gts View Post
    Is your IAT running that high? Mine was so ?I relocated it and now it's runs cooler but still accurate. I have aluminum air intake and it was getting heat soaked , along with the underhood temp causing it to rise.
    For the 99 TA's GM did not design them well with low IAT's in mind. On the freeway I am around 90-97F. On the street driving 104-117F. If I stop somewhere 140-170F.

Do you have a Fbody?

Tuner
    Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town. that sounds like its running really warm, I can see that on the street, but not on the freeway, unless it 90* outside? I have a 95 TA convertible with a forged 383 11.4 comp, 238/246 605/618 comp cam, 24x LS1 PCM, 3600 DD stall,9 " Ford with 390's.

My IAT was running in the high teens and I didn't know it, ran a log one day and it was pulling 10* of timing, I put a polished aluminum air intake on it and didn't realize it was getting heat soaked. I moved the IAT to the air filter box out of the engine compartment and solved everything, it pretty much runs what the outside air temperature is now.

Quote Originally Posted by 540gts View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town. that sounds like its running really warm, I can see that on the street, but not on the freeway, unless it 90* outside? I have a 95 TA convertible with a forged 383 11.4 comp, 238/246 605/618 comp cam, 24x LS1 PCM, 3600 DD stall,9 " Ford with 390's.

My IAT was running in the high teens and I didn't know it, ran a log one day and it was pulling 10* of timing, I put a polished aluminum air intake on it and didn't realize it was getting heat soaked. I moved the IAT to the air filter box out of the engine compartment and solved everything, it pretty much runs what the outside air temperature is now.
    Hot South Texas 90-105F easy.

Tuner
    [QUOTE=STR8BALLN;354022]For the 99 TA's GM did not design them well with low IAT's in mind. On the freeway I am around 90-97F. On the street driving 104-117F. If I stop somewhere 140-170F.

I think its safe to say the air is not 117-170 entering the TB. When I did my research I was told that a hot intake would not heat up the air enough to make a difference because the air moved so fast. So I would certainly think your IAT is getting heat soaked or its just off and needs to be replaced.
    My 95 TA had the IAT in the air intake plenum and I drilled a hole and put it where it picks up the air coming from outside the engine bay. So it is accurate and reads just a little over the outside temp. I would think your would be hard to start, with the timing pulled from the IAT settings?