Thread: ZFR lambda getting lean, and MAF oscillation

ZFR lambda getting lean, and MAF oscillation

Ok, i made some adjustments to my boost pid tables to ramp boost and come in around 4000 rpms. I log everyday coming home from work and have noticed that my STFT stay fine during a pull, but my lambda gets too lean for my liking and my MAF has some oscillation in the readings along with WGDC. Fuel pressure does not drop off yet, running E47, alky/water injection (which i think saved my ass) and 25psi. Any input is appreciated for getting rid of this crap.

Before this i ramped in boost slower to only 22 psi up until 4800rpms then up to 25psi, never had an issue, but too slow of power onset.

Edit: After cleaning the MAF, and re-logging the next day, the lean spikes are gone.
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 06-27-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    The Daily: 08 SS/TC, fully built 2.0L LDK, Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, upgraded main bolts, S257sx-e, Opels, ZZP stage 2 cams, BRC 5th injector, E47, AEM E85 fuel pump, custom 3.5" intake and PCV system, custom catless downpipe, 4.05 LSD, custom KY frankenclutch, ZZP full 3" catback with res and muffler, lowered on CM springs, lots of other ZZP parts, built and tuned by BRC Tuning.

PICK TWO: CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE

Post a tune

There ya go, i hold no responsibility if anyone's car blows up bc of stealing my tune,
    The Daily: 08 SS/TC, fully built 2.0L LDK, Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, upgraded main bolts, S257sx-e, Opels, ZZP stage 2 cams, BRC 5th injector, E47, AEM E85 fuel pump, custom 3.5" intake and PCV system, custom catless downpipe, 4.05 LSD, custom KY frankenclutch, ZZP full 3" catback with res and muffler, lowered on CM springs, lots of other ZZP parts, built and tuned by BRC Tuning.

Ack! Left my trusty pos netbook at home. Will look it over later tonight. If I can't find anything I'll steal it, blow my ride up, and sue you.

Is the MAF relocated in the lower CP? If so look for rubbing on the ZZP lower CP. Tight fit under there. Vibration causes noisy MAF, same if it's in the K&N intake, look for rubbing.

If in the lower CP, condensation from the IC blowing through under boost causes it as well though not usually that cyclic.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 06-19-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Shooting methanol at the tb with a post ic maf relocate causes over spray onto the maf at wot similar to a standoff effect when using nozzles around the 7 size. Doesn't happen to everyone though

The maf is not relocated, I even tried my old pid tables and slow ass boost ramp, still getting oscillations. But I put my injector timing also back lower and the lambda settled down. And the intake is solid pretty much. Would cleaning the maf help? I just don't understand the maf and boost oscillation all of the sudden, it was very smooth before.
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 06-19-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Did a short log on the way home, heres a shot of the same crap with my old pid tables and slower boost ramp , and old lower injection timing table. Not really any change, still oscillating. I guess im gonna try cleaning the maf and map sensors.

do you guys think its too lean in those little spikes? or am i over worrying here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 06-19-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    cleaning the maf shortens its life even with that joke of a spray made just for maf sensors.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

One thing i noticed today, when you make the prop max table all 100s, it lets the car part throttle full boost like a manual boost controller lol. Fixed that issue, cleaned maf last night and reloaded the first tune with some tweaks to injector timing (much lower) and maf base correction in the area in seeing lean mixture. Car felt good this morning on the way to work, very smooth, but we'll see later when i log it.

Prop max can go to 327%. That's where I run it. Allows you to use other functions to control boost. Important when I'm racing to stay in boost. Not so much dd lol

Yeah I saw boost climbing and lambda staying at 1.00 lol, not good for a dd. Any input on the tune Bill? I haven't had anyone say anything yet, I'm about to give up and call it fine, I ramped boost in a tad slower, getting some on boost surging like everyone else on the zfr and I think that's what the oscillation is, it does disappear and smooth out though.

Sorry, forgot to say I didn't see anything in the tune. Thinking something more mechanical or electrical with the MAF issue.

As for lambda staying at 1, there are several factors that contribute. It's not the prop max by itself. You have to adjust the pe and the AFR based on rpm. As for PE, the ecu can only interpolate by the closest value outside of the table's range. Take pe table, for example. The lowest adjustable value is for 60% pedal pos. Below that, it will interpolate based off of the nearest option - 60%.

Regardless, I'm shocked anyone would run 1.0 lambda at 4-6k rpm. "Well, that's what stock tune does." We are WAY far from stock. Stock doesn't boost to 23psi in <0.6sec.

Anything over 3k rpm I richen up to avoid the ecu ever going to 1 lambda under boost. Never had that problem.

Thx Bill. I'm going to take my tune down tonight, but for those who downloaded it, try out my cam tables, I forgot who they are borrowed from, but they make a ton of difference in response. They may be from byt, can't remember it's been too long. Cat warm up off and no cold start issues.

If you're looking for more mid-range torque, I posted pics of the two final tables I run in a new race cam table thread. The stock is fugly but there for reference, the smoothed one I run on the street car usually, and the race one is for street or track if you only care about power. Gained me a lot of time with no other changes.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ace+cam+tables