Thread: Knock Retard

Knock Retard

What do you use to subtract knock retard?

Do you use the counts in the histogram, copy, then subtract to the HO spark table?

Or do you read the actual KR number off the chart display and subtract that from the HO spark table?

The problem I have is the Histogram shows 1 in the cell but the chart display said 9.1. Then in another cell it showed 5 and 6 but the chart display read 9.

Do you subtract 9 from the chart display or do you subtract the numbers from the histogram?

Do you subtract 1 from the first cell the knock occurs in the chart display or all of the cells the knock occurs in?

If you look at the picture below you will see what I am talking about. The KR is 9.1 but the histogram says 5 and 6. Do you subtract the 9.1 from the chart or the 5 or 6 from the histogram?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STR8BALLN; 06-15-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Here is another one. Do you subtract the 1.3 or the 1 from the histogram?

z1.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    Your histogram and chart are displaying the same information two different ways. The chart on the left is displaying what actually happened at a given time in relation to other events. The histogram is displaying an average of those events (in this case knock retard) because the "A" has been clicked on the upper right. You can choose to Average, display the Last value or Count how many times it happened (All next to the "A" in that order on the upper right).

In your first example, I would remove 12 degrees from the range of driving that includes 1700 RPM and .39 g/cyl area for your vehicle. I say 12 because you are getting 9 degrees of knock and it gives a 3 degree margin for error in fuel quality.

Depending on what your timing is set at, there could be other factors that caused the knock which would of course need to be assessed and addressed.

Tuner
    That is a lot of stuff you're logging that doesn't need to be.

Your at such a low rpm with and not even getting on it, why worry about little blips of KR?

It's not like they last more than couple tenths of a second and do any damage to anything. My buddies 2011 silverado does this all the time while just bumming around town, did on the stock tune and does it slightly less after I messed with it but rarely has anything in the upper rpms.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Your at such a low rpm with and not even getting on it, why worry about little blips of KR?

It's not like they last more than couple tenths of a second and do any damage to anything. My buddies 2011 silverado does this all the time while just bumming around town, did on the stock tune and does it slightly less after I messed with it but rarely has anything in the upper rpms.
    Ok, I was just reading all of my training material and they all say you should not have any KR. But I have been chasing these periodic KR's for months now and it seems like I am chasing my tail. Is there an acceptable periodic KR? side note, When I go WOT, I have 0 KR though. The shit seems to happen after the torque converter locks up or peppy acceleration shifting through the gears 2-4th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    Your histogram and chart are displaying the same information two different ways. The chart on the left is displaying what actually happened at a given time in relation to other events. The histogram is displaying an average of those events (in this case knock retard) because the "A" has been clicked on the upper right. You can choose to Average, display the Last value or Count how many times it happened (All next to the "A" in that order on the upper right).

In your first example, I would remove 12 degrees from the range of driving that includes 1700 RPM and .39 g/cyl area for your vehicle. I say 12 because you are getting 9 degrees of knock and it gives a 3 degree margin for error in fuel quality.

Depending on what your timing is set at, there could be other factors that caused the knock which would of course need to be assessed and addressed.
    Thank you, will try