Thread: LTFT, B1 consistantly higher than B2. Common?

Advanced Tuner

LTFT, B1 consistantly higher than B2. Common?

Just curious. LS7. Fuel trims on B1 are, and always have been, about 3% higher than B2. It is more consistent under 2500 rpm, but runs slightly higher above 2500 as well. Before I start tearing stuff apart, to try and find something mechanically wrong, I got to wondering if this was common.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    leak?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

It was that way on my LS1 and is 2-3% on my LS3 as well. No leaks.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i personally would not worry about it at all
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    I had thought of a leak, but no, I could not find one. I'm leaning towards a flaky O2 sensor. After looking at a few log files a bit closer, the left bank output has a few weird drops on the graph table. It will show a random abrupt drop, not a sweeping arc like normally shown on the log. Sometimes, these drops will only dip about half way, then shoot back up.

I did however tear the heads down yesterday. Excessive guide clearance already after 5K miles on rebuilt / ported heads. I knew I should have just ran a rail set up with roller tip with this cam (.670"). I doubt that was the cause of this miss though....

Is there a preferred brand of O2 sensor?? The OE is Bosch correct? It looks like there are also sensors made by Denso, Walker and NGK.

Tuner in Training
    I had the exact same "issue" with my '07 z06. I bought the car in 2012 stock (Haltech MF103) with 12,3xx miles on it. Replaced both O2 sensors just in case, especially since bank1 would abruptly "swing" like yours. I saw no difference with the new brand O2 sensors from GM (not sure of OEM brand). Since then, I've replaced the exhaust with LT headers and a catless Xpipe. I still to this day have the same "issue", but no exhaust leaks.

I know this isn't too helpful, but at least you know you're not the only one.

-Shane

Pretty sure it's typical on the LS engnes, that's why most recommend putting the WB for tuning on B1 as it is usually leaner.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. ..... I cannot see a reason why the left bank would run leaner. I'm yanking the intake and heads.

Advanced Tuner
    I used to have a 2006 Pontiac GXP which I bought brand new. Since day one it displayed the same issue, and always did until the day I sold it.

I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP with 59300 miles, and I bought it brand new. Since day ONE I've had the same issue with bank 1 being consistently 1-2% leaner than bank 2. LTFT were always 0.8, 1.6, or even 2.4 higher. I've tuned it such that bank 1 is as close to 0 as I can get it and bank 2 is consistently -1.6 to -2.4.

This is still the case today, and nothing I have done ever changes that, and after reading now and again the same thing being posted and/or asked by others, I've accepted that this is just be the way it is for LSx engines.

Senior Tuner
    dosnt it have to do with the firing order between the two banks, where one bank has two firing closer together then the exhaust will have a richer environment for a little longer than the other side that might be more even and since idle is so slow it picked up by the sensors, just a thought thats all...

Advanced Tuner
    Hadn't considering that. Cylinder 6 fires after 2 while all other fires alternate bank to bank. Hmmmm.... I freely admit that I do not know what I do not know.

Well in my particular case, fuel trims are consistently 3% higher on B1 than B2. That seams a bit too high, when considering that according to all the different "how to tune" books I have say to get AFR error under 3%.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Hadn't considering that. Cylinder 6 fires after 2 while all other fires alternate bank to bank. Hmmmm.... I freely admit that I do not know what I do not know.

Well in my particular case, fuel trims are consistently 3% higher on B1 than B2. That seams a bit too high, when considering that according to all the different "how to tune" books I have say to get AFR error under 3%.
    And cylinder 1 fires right after 3 on the other bank...1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3...it's a loop.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Disable LTFTs and the VE table. Run mass air only, problem solved.

Na, the STFT's will still be 2-3% higher on B1. I run a MAF only tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I pulled the heads and found excessive intake guide clearance. The valves are coated with oil and the combustion chambers and pistons have a thick carbon layer. I suspect this is part of the issue.

Both heads or just Bank 1?

Advanced Tuner
    Both, and ya, I know...

You read my mind already.

Must be common. Don't you remember Nicholas Cage in Gone in Sixty Seconds "sounds like the left bank is lean"