Thread: How to change the traction control to stay off

Potential Tuner

How to change the traction control to stay off

Is there a way I can turn of the TCM so i don't forget to shut it off when i race.

Tuner in Training
    Good question, I forget on occasion too. You could pull the ecbm fuses I suppose.

Advanced Tuner
    Look under Engine/Torque Management/General

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gottogo View Post
    Look under Engine/Torque Management/General
    Yeah but AFAIK you still have to push the button on the console to turn off all the traction control.

Advanced Tuner
    Seems to me if you set the High and Low limits to 0, it would be disabled. I have never tried it, but you could.

Advanced Tuner
    The TC also utilizes the brakes. We don't have access to that.

Advanced Tuner
    The brakes?

Never heard that before.

I believe mine is simply a throttle control.
    Last edited by gottogo; 06-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, a quick search did mention the use of brakes. And apparently F-bodies have a special TCS unit.

So you could try to limit the duration but it may not work.

I don't see a definitive answer on the HPT forum.

Advanced Tuner
    I turned off all I could via HPT. But I always turn of via the button while drag racing.
    I forgot to turn off the button one night leaving the track with my drag pack on. Front tires taller than the rears.
    At 60 mph, the TC light came on and the car applied the rear brakes, on the freeway where I couldn't pull over. Smoked the rear discs.....
    Was embarrassing!

SLP used to make a TCS default control that allowed the TCS to be disabled on startup for 98-02 Trans Am/Camaros. If you needed the TCS in rain or snow, you just hit the button and it was on. Saved me some embarrassing moments at the track when a burnout failed miserably. Of course, that NEVER happened to me before I got my TCS box installed...

You might check on eBay to see if one ever comes up - or on LS1Tech forum. I checked the SLP website today and they only showed the skip shift eliminator... which we don't need.
    Last edited by Senator16; 04-05-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
    02 NBM M6 TA, Mecham Hood and Wing, LS6, Mustang Specialties P&P 243 heads, Comp 1:8 roller rockers, 220/220/112/.565 custom cam, Holley 92mm TB, Dorman LS2 92mm intake, GM 85mm MAF, Volant Ram Air, Moser 4.11 12 bolt, Z06 clutch, SLP Bilsteins, 275/40 BFG Comp TA frt/ 315/35 Nitto 555 G2 rr, Hooker long tube headers, TSP 3" catted Y, Borla S type, MSD coil pacs, Bosch 36lb (811) injectors