Thread: 1-2 and 2-1 shift help 4L60E

Tuner in Training

1-2 and 2-1 shift help 4L60E

2004 Silverado 5.3 4L60E

The truck tends to start off in 2nd gear and it takes far too much peddle to get
    it to down shift. The case would be turning on to a side street. You slow to 2-3mph
    a rolling stop as I am sure we all do. Then apply throttle to make a turn on to the
    side street and the truck is in 2nd gear and a complete dog.

What do I need to do to resolve this? Other wise its shifting fine. Please bear in mind
    I am very new to this. I got HP tuners to enable electric cooling fans only. Then I
    started to branch out so my knowledge is limited.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgrim View Post
    2004 Silverado 5.3 4L60E

The truck tends to start off in 2nd gear and it takes far too much peddle to get
    it to down shift. The case would be turning on to a side street. You slow to 2-3mph
    a rolling stop as I am sure we all do. Then apply throttle to make a turn on to the
    side street and the truck is in 2nd gear and a complete dog.

What do I need to do to resolve this? Other wise its shifting fine. Please bear in mind
    I am very new to this. I got HP tuners to enable electric cooling fans only. Then I
    started to branch out so my knowledge is limited.
    mrgrim if you would like help mate you need to post your tune/scan if have one cheers Bret ULTIMATE LSX TUNING

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, Here is my current file.

http://www.bronkx1.com/CurrentFile.hpt

Just some observations I checked a stock tune in the repository and cant find anything out of the ordinary, however your problem may be mechanical such as transmission slipping or torque converter.
    Last edited by 4horseman; 05-31-2014 at 09:51 PM.

One thing I did notice is that you said you have hptuners for changing fan settings. Have you altered any of your stock tune other than the fans?
    Last edited by 4horseman; 05-31-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I did get a mail order tune in HP Tuners format that I have not been impressed with.
    Another tuner locked my PCM and would not unlock so I gave up and got a new PCM
    with a basic tune in it that is what I am working with now. I have been reading and
    reading but HP Tuners is not a simple as I had hoped. I will get it figured out at some
    point but its a slow process so far.

Go to the main Hp tuners page and sign in. Click on tune repository and enter your make model and year vehicle. You will find a stock tune. As long as your ecm is the correct one for your vehicle all the parameters will be re-set to stock. If you continue having the same problems then you will know it is likely mechanical.

Tuner in Training
    Like 4horseman said, with only fan calibrations changed, it may be a mechanical or electrical issue. Are you getting any transmission trouble codes? How do the shifts feel? Any chance the trans is in limp mode?

Tuner in Training
    I think I may have not been clear, The shifting is not a problem or fault with the trans.
    The truck has done this since new as has 2 others of similar vintage I own. This is a case
    where I am looking to improve over the stock shifting. My hope was that HPT would allow
    me to make some adjustments to reduce or improve over stock. I am looking to keep
    the truck in 1st gear longer or to a higher RPM. I would like the truck to stay in 1st when
    doing a rolling stop of say 2 to 5 MPH. And / or have it take less throttle input to shift back
    to 1st gear.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I understand you now. That is easy to do. Go to Transmission>Auto Shift Speed, and adjust the tables for "Part Throttle Shift". This will allow you to increase the upshit/downshift for a given MPH and throttle position.

Advanced Tuner
    just make sure when you change the UPSHIFT% you change the DOWNSHIFT by the same %...so if you change the UPSHIFT say by 2mph you must change the DOWNSHIFT by 2mph....Cheers BRET ULTIMATE LSX TUNING

Did you figure this out? If not, I have a great trans tune on my '04 Yukon that will do what you want it to I think. You might have to scale it for your gears - I have 3.73s.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

Tuner in Training
    I have been messing with it but its still crap. Its the tendency for it to start off in 2nd
    gear under 10mph. The situation is typical and repeatable, line of cars turning right
    lets say. You inch along waiting your turn under 10mph then when you hit the gas
    to turn your in second gear and are slow to get up any speed. It then takes pedal
    meeting carpet to get it to down shift and get going. As we all know some times you
    gotta jump into traffic not trip fall and stumble into traffic.

2004 Silverado
    5.3 4L60E 3:73 gear

Here is the tune for my 2004 Yukon. Like I said, it always seems to be in the right gear for my tastes. This is with 3.73 gears (the truck needs more gear, but runs great for what it has.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...