Thread: Various Trans Settings - Eric??

Advanced Tuner

Various Trans Settings - Eric??

Ok, so Im about to dive into some 5r55 tuning. Gonna see what it will hold before swapping in the TH400.

We have a decent multi-disk converter in the car, and it will be seeing dyno and drag strip duty only.

Just a handful of questions.

1) Can this trans be set to lock into a specific gear on the dyno like we can with GM cars? Assuming just set the shift speeds according to the gear I want to hold..

2) Will this thing lock the converter WOT? It "looks" like 2nd gear and up only, which is fine.

3) The TPS Tip-In/Tip-out settings are a bit confusing.. Should I only have to adjust the Tip-In High setting to allow WOT lock?

4) Where/how do I adjust line pressure to the converter when it is locked up?

Ive attached my basic startup tune file, please feel free to have a look.

TT Mustang Base Tune.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Locking the trans in gear was simple enough. Just adjust the shift points so that it upshifts early, but won't downshift.

Locking the converter can happen in 2nd through 4th gear for sure. Settings are just like the shift points, except there is also a delay setting that determines how long to wait before locking the converter AFTER the other criteria are met. Didn't touch the TPS tip-in/tips out settings.

Also didn't touch anything for converter line pressure.

The car made about 200hp more than expected, and the trans seems to be holding so far. Just been a bitch to get it to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Not a shift point targeting issue, seems clutch timing related as it will neutral and hit the Rev limiter before finally shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire67 View Post
    Locking the trans in gear was simple enough. Just adjust the shift points so that it upshifts early, but won't downshift.

Locking the converter can happen in 2nd through 4th gear for sure. Settings are just like the shift points, except there is also a delay setting that determines how long to wait before locking the converter AFTER the other criteria are met. Didn't touch the TPS tip-in/tips out settings.

Also didn't touch anything for converter line pressure.

The car made about 200hp more than expected, and the trans seems to be holding so far. Just been a bitch to get it to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Not a shift point targeting issue, seems clutch timing related as it will neutral and hit the Rev limiter before finally shifting.
    This issue you are running into is because the car uses vehicle acceleration rate in the predictive shifting logic. Since the car accelerates much quicker now, you will need to raise up the value it is allowed to learn, and then it will shift on time.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Just saw this reply. Thank you, I will definitely try this. Looks like we'll get some track time in with the car soon. It's a stock trans with a Circle D converter, but logged slip was minimal on the Dyno if we kept it below 900rwhp. So we took boost down by like 5psi, and we're gonna give it hell till it breaks.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, this os FOAG0G3 has a switch under the general trans tab labeled "RPM Antic. Shifts" with options of enable or disable.
    Directly below that, is an editable variable labeled Max Accel and wont let me enter anything higher than "20". I assume this is what you meant by the value it is allowed to learn.

Flashed it with that value maxxed out, and tested. Still wouldnt shift. Messed with some other shift related tables to no avail then ran out of time. Next thing to test is just to disable the RPM anticipated shifts and see what that does.

Tuner
    make sure you have your desired mph and rpm shift points where they should also under shift propertys trans slopes help decrease the shift response time

Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    Ok, this os FOAG0G3 has a switch under the general trans tab labeled "RPM Antic. Shifts" with options of enable or disable.
    Directly below that, is an editable variable labeled Max Accel and wont let me enter anything higher than "20". I assume this is what you meant by the value it is allowed to learn.

Flashed it with that value maxxed out, and tested. Still wouldnt shift. Messed with some other shift related tables to no avail then ran out of time. Next thing to test is just to disable the RPM anticipated shifts and see what that does.

I went in and raised the limit. Download the latest 2.25 and you should be able to raise it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC