Thread: hey guys!

Potential Tuner

hey guys! im looking to buy a used hpt need some advice

hi all, my names john and i have a 2004 monte carlo turbo 3800. for the longest time i was using a buddies hpt with his tunning abilities but i figured it was time i buy my own so i got a few questions.

i found a used hpt pro for sale, he has the serial number and application key along with the disc. my question is if i buy this can i use the serial number and application key to make my own account even though he already did? (he doesnt want to give me his password) also my tuning laptop i will be using does not have a cd drive to download the software, can i download the software from here somewhere or will i have to buy a external cd drive for the laptop?

one final question, how can i be sure the hpt is not locked?

thanks guys!!
    Last edited by turbo monte; 05-25-2014 at 07:07 PM.

This thread may or may not be deleted, but I'll take a stab at some of your questions until a moderator has an opportunity to determine if this is OK for the forum.

There are two different accounts. The forum account (which you've squared away) and the HPTuner's main account that you get to through the customer login portion of the main page. For that, the "username" is the serial number of the device. His device gets one account. He has to give you his password (he can change it to something new so he doesn't give you something that he uses for every other site known to man).

Once you have access to that main account, you can download the current version of the software from the website.

The hardware device does not "lock", so far as I know. You need credits available to tune your vehicle, so that is an important question to ask. There are a number of posts and/or website details about their credit system, so I won't wasted either of our time by regurgitating that here. If your PCM was previously tuned by your buddy, you will want to ask him if he locked your PCM (something that he has to go out of his way to do). If he still has his stuff and it is locked, he should be able to unlock it for you.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner
    thanks man, i contacted hpt about this and they answered my questions. i purchased the tuner and have it in my hands, have my main account through hpt and also have the software downloaded (had 6 credits left) so far so good now time to do a ton of reading about tuning etc and go from there as i have a lot of issues i need to address in the tune. also my buddy did not lock my pcm i told him not to from day 1 lol. i read my pcm and have the file on my laptop and ive been looking through it so all seems good with hpt working correctly

now off to the search bar to figure out injector flow rates for 80lb injectors, wideband hookup for datalogging, some trans adjustments, then datalog and make adjustments as needed to maf table, timing advance, and add more boost if possible also need to figure out how to add timing before boost to help get off the line and help with turbo lag, which i have tons of lag right now...