Thread: VCM scanner help

Tuner in Training

VCM scanner help

So I've been using HpTuners for about 4 months. Compared to other PGEFI systems I have used I find the scanner side very difficult to use. I say this in regards to it is very capable and options are limitless it seams. But They are so user defined that setting up the scanner for your needs is a real pain in the butt.

I have three questions. First I am using software version VCM Editor 2.24.57 Vehicle is 2002 Chevy 2500 8.1L with STS turbo. converted to 2 bar MAP and changed to 2Bar Speed Density.

#1 My friend has HpTuners for his Chevy truck and his Corvette and we have avidly used the RTT (real time tuning) I think his software is on step older than mine. But anyways we cannot get the RTT to work on mine. I've followed all the instructions to turn it on but the icon just simply isn't there to turn it on in my software. So..........? Does my software support this function? How can I get it? Or... can I get it?

#2 I am trying to set up a histogram to record the "Idle Airflow - Desired Airflow" for tuning base idle air flow. This thread makes a lot of sense. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...tricks-373848/
    How ever search as I may finding info to actually set up the VCM scanner side to actually be able to data log and believe the info is correct based off the required user setting to make the histogram even exist is hard to find. Someone seriously has had to post a thread about VCM scanner setup. Easy how to's and do not's. My question for setting up this particular histogram is what sensor inputs would you use? The Base Idle Airflow table says its Idle airflow vs Coolant Temp vs Gear&PN. That's great...... but what sensor does this table depend on for a derived Idle Airflow measurement? So much of the GM table code seams to want to measure in (cylinder airmass g/cy) ignition timing tables do this. I assume this Base idle table uses the same method? Which confuses me because its a Speed Density tune now. How does (cylinder airmass g/cy) relate? its as though its still a table built around the MAF g/s measurement but..... how? Some setup help on this would be appreciated.

#3 ever since I've been dicking around with the Base idle table and trying to make sense of getting the histogram to work and even know what sensor input to use and how to even believe the information it's posting in the histogram..... somehow all my histograms are messed up now. All the histograms work off some measurement vs RPM populating PIDs based off RPM and whatever measurement for whatever histogram you're looking at for that moment. Well now my histograms only populate the 400rpm column. doesn't matter if its ignition main spark timing advance, knock retard, fuel trims, AFR error the histograms only populate the 400RPM column at any RPM. its like all the information that would go to all the different PIDs is just all being stuffed into the 400RPM column. I'm sure it's something I did that messed it up but I've spent the last two days trying to figure out what I did to mess it up. I can load up the generic default metric VCM scanner config and all the PIDs populate properly. So this tells me there is something I messed up with the user parameters. I would rather fix my problem then remake an entire new VCM scanner config again because I cant figure out what I messed up.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't be the only person to have these difficulties. There must be a thread or write up to address most of these issues and if there is please reference it to me. I just feel like for every step I take with the stupid VCM scanner I take two steps back. The VCM editor side I don't have issues with. I just hate how generic the VCM scanner is and if you want to actually data log you have to set so much up to get what you want. To me the VCM scanner is a setup nightmare. Guess I've been spoiled in the past and I'm a pansy but I am really surprised how difficult setting up the VCM scanner is.

Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    See my post below about trying to help a buddy in another state just getting his scanner set up for simple logs, much less histograms.

It might help if you post the config file, and a log file, maybe one of us can see what the rpm error is.

I try to help folks, I've got about 2 years experience, but I'm far from an expert.

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Tuner in Training
    Hey Ron,
    Thanks for the response. I read that post and all I have to say at this point is the hardest part I've experienced with HpTuners is setting up the VCM scanner for your needs.

Hopefully these uploads work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Your log looks good! And for me, the histograms work fine. Or I should say the RPM is fine, it's not all jammed into the 400rpm column.
    Not sure what you were trying to accomplish with the AFR vs Timing Histogram? Boost AFR Histogram simply isn't set up to show MAP vs AFR.
    The cool thing about histograms is that if you logged the correct data, you can create histograms to view that data in different ways after the fact.

Anyway, with your log file up, you might try File/Open Config and reload this config. The log file seems to hang on to the last config you were messing with.

For RTT, It might not be supported for your particular operating system. It isn't avail for my 3 BAR either.

For the idle airflow, search for RussK idle config. You will find it under gen 3 along with the config. You can download it and see what is in there. And add it to your config if you like. BTW, you don't log a sensor, you log a PID called Idle Desired Airflow. It's under Engine/Idle in the PIDs list.

Cylinder Airmass is calculated in SD mode.

Not sure how much this helps.....

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm. ok. I will try to reload the config. I was going back and forth between different configs trying to figure out the Idle Desired Airflow. I'll play around with it some more after the holiday. I have more important things to do this weekend like auto-x. lol

I figured Cyl airmass was a calculation I assume between baro, MAP, and IAT? To me it would just be easier to base everything off the MAP Kpa values but I guess it wasn't a Speed density setup to begin with so.... IDK.

I can live without RTT but going back and forth between scanner and editor seams so primitive. My OBD1 programmable ECU's I can at least tune real time. Seams like a duh factor to me.

Alright. For my histogram #12 I found the Idle Desired Airflow and set it up as a PID. I'll go off that. Thanks.

The AFR vs Timing table I was trying something. I've concluded that the knock sensor on this 8.1L is very sensitive. I was trying to figure out if the knock I was getting was in fact too much timing or if the AFR was too lean at that point causing pre-det. Didn't get very far down that road when I ran into all the histogram issues trying to set up IAC stuff.

You mention being able to recreate the histograms at a later time with a log? I will have to ask more about how this is done. That is of interest to me.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll check into that idle config when I get back from auto-x and get back at this truck tune next week. I'm signing off till then. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Dr.Auto; 05-23-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. Latest news. My problem #3 (all info populating only the 400RPM column) is fixed. I figured out what was wrong and it was my own fault like I thought. In the event of trying to set up histograms I in avertedly some how deleted the RPM off the list for the Table (primary) input list. So all I had to do is put the RPM back on the list and now it works properly. Ron I seriously don't know how it worked for you with it being a config setup issue. But at least I can use my histograms again.

I did learn how to recreate the histograms with a log file while doing all this but I have noticed that importing someone else's log into your config file doesn't always work. For instance, trying to compare logs between speed density and a MAF setup doesn't work quite right unless you build a different config for each tailored to work with the PCM format. Opening a MAF log in my SD config did mess up the format of the config and I would have to either restart the scanner program or clear out the log.
    Since converting to SD I have found that something as easy as just trying to see what the MAF reading is at a certain point of boost for instance is almost impossible for the use of volumetric calculations. It is quite frustrating as I like to work with checks and balances. I have a hard time believing information in a user defined scanner unless I can verify it in one or more different methods. Then it is confirmed and I believe the information. I guess that is why I'm so frustrated with the HPTuner scanner. It takes so much time to familiarize yourself with its method of madness. It's capable of doing almost anything you set it up to do. But that's just the problem. You have to set EVERYTHING up just to use it. I seriously can't believe they don't have 4 dozen config files all setup as options to use as a base config file to use as a starting point for what you want to do.
    In any case on the bright side me messing up my RPM PID made me have to familiarize myself more with how the scanner works so moving on. Now I get to play on a Dyno.

Tuner in Training
    alright guys. Things are going well.... But I have #3 more things I have questions about. Same truck. If I need to I'll start another thread but thought I might just continue in this one.

#1 So how do I get any kind of MAF reading with a SD tune? I really want to use MAF readings for a VE calculator program but I can't even look at it in SD format?

#2 While building my idle tune I have noticed that once ECT gets to about 150degF I get surging all the way up till operating temp... and in Park sometimes even at operating temp. watching my data list... and knowing I have closed loop turned off and FT's turned off. During the surging I can watch the O2's and wideband go to about 17:1 it seams as though PCM corrects for lean condition and the electronic throttle compensates for the RPM drop. Then it revs up then down then up then down (about 100RPM variation) then smoothes out. Run for a while just fine then repeats. I have multiple datalogs showing this and I have no clue why. Timing table is smooth at that point. and no big change in VE table there so it can't be an interpolation issue.

#3 This problem is really ticking me off. Especially since the RRT doesn't work on this PCM. Every time I burn the PROM it will not start. Well.... it starts.. runs for 3 seconds... but then dies. Only thing I can do to fix it is go into the scanner controls and command AFR to 8:1-9:1 and then it will start... almost die...catch... rev up....slowly come down in RPM start to load up and then I turn off the AFR command and its fine. every time after that I start it then it starts up just fine.

So there is another 3 issues I'm trying to resolve. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Did u ever figure out idle surge problem mine is doing exact same thing
    2003 swb single cab
    lq4 6.0 243 heads mill .30
    comp cam 224/228
    1 7/8 lt headers
    fast 36LB injectors
    4l80e swap 3500 circle d converter