Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helpful tools for those tuning E85 and blends

Helpful tools for those tuning E85 and blends

I came across some helpful tools I wanted to share for calculating things like stoich for E-blends and other things and a pic of blend ratios etc. Hope it helps some of you out with tuning.

E85 mix chart.jpg

And a very very helpful excel spreadsheet:

Stoich Calculator For E85 Blends.xls
    Last edited by 08VRSS; 05-23-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    The Daily: 08 SS/TC, fully built 2.0L LDK, Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, upgraded main bolts, S257sx-e, Opels, ZZP stage 2 cams, BRC 5th injector, E47, AEM E85 fuel pump, custom 3.5" intake and PCV system, custom catless downpipe, 4.05 LSD, custom KY frankenclutch, ZZP full 3" catback with res and muffler, lowered on CM springs, lots of other ZZP parts, built and tuned by BRC Tuning.

PICK TWO: CHEAP, FAST, RELIABLE

Potential Tuner
    Another tool that is useful for blending Ethanol at the pump is this:

E85 Calculator for Mobile Android iPhone

I am still in the process of making it have all the features everyone wants so if you guys have feedback or anything that would be awesome.

I highly suggest anyone doing eblends get one of these. You can test at the pump, and having two is useful for testing the "e85" as well as the "e10" gas. I don't think I have once seen e85 actually be e85, not to mention summer vs. winter blends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-tester-t..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Good info guys, I've been testing my e85 and it had been as low as e60, those testers are a must. I have the quickfuel tester.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    worst e85 test i did was socal at 55.5% e content from the 85 nozzle
    best test was florida with a 79% e content from the 85 nozzle
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    my local e85 station is measuring 90% on two separate testers. I like the tester that goes down to 50% since I am now starting to run a race gas blend. Just picked one up.
    09 Cobalt SS/TC

I guess I'm fortunate living ~20 miles from the corn plant. My local E85 tests 85% all summer long.

Creeps down to 70% gradually after Halloween and back up in the spring. 85% again by Memorial day the last several years.

I test several times a year but since I can run 85% ethanol in the Bee now it's no big deal to watch the fuel trims shift a bit in the fall. It's a garage queen that hibernates once the snow flies.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

must be nice... i have to make my own corn blend

Yeah, but I have to deal with 80" of snow each winter, you don't.

no but my driveway is super long and i only own a shovel. i got 2-3 ft stacked last year. i have to unburry my smoker to distill since i use it as a heater plate holder royal pima.

What's snow?

That's what I thought COB would have said.

snow performance methanol?

It snows in the desert. Been there many times, even Patrick, NV.

Glad I moved to Houston from Ohio, sub tropical climate, no snow/salt, and TX2K E-blends are hit and miss here, lately Kroger has been 85% where it was 60% before.
    The Daily: 08 SS/TC, fully built 2.0L LDK, Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, upgraded main bolts, S257sx-e, Opels, ZZP stage 2 cams, BRC 5th injector, E47, AEM E85 fuel pump, custom 3.5" intake and PCV system, custom catless downpipe, 4.05 LSD, custom KY frankenclutch, ZZP full 3" catback with res and muffler, lowered on CM springs, lots of other ZZP parts, built and tuned by BRC Tuning.

One trick i use is looking at my fuel trims. I use the spreadsheet for a quick and dirty. Pulse setting your wide band to lambada makes life a lot easier. I've never actually tested the fuel.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC #80 mototrons,2.7" pulley, pacesetter header, catless DP ,custom axle back ,Cxr heat exchanger ,Cxr brushless IC pump.

I recently bought the torque app for my phone and a blutooth obd2 dongle. Best $25 ever spent ($5 for program, $20 for adapter) Much easier to check my trims, lambda, knock, iat2 temps, read and clear codes etc without lugging my laptop around with me. Only thing is you can't read boost above 22.5psi as it references the manifold map, still looking for the hex pid for the lo res boost sensor

Advanced Tuner
    That is why I bought a tablet and put the scanner app on it and use it for whatever gauges I want. I constantly monitor everything and use it for a playback. My screen doesnt show everything just the most important things but I still log everything on it just in case.

^This. I bought a pos netbook of CL running Windows XP. Delete everything off of it except scanner and editor. Voila! Instant feedback. If it ever dies buy another off CL.

tahoe had a dash mount windows tablet as the radio and it had hpt on it so i could tune on the fly just ran an extra cable down to the knee pannel.

bill do you use the same unit to tune on as well?
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 06-14-2014 at 09:05 PM.