Thread: Tuning 07 2.2 malibu

Tuning 07 2.2 malibu

Looking to improve the overall performance of this car. It is my wife's daily driver. Not looking for any huge performance gains but simply for efficiency and fuel economy. I was told i could start with the timing by logging a histogram while driving at normal speeds with variations of taking off and stopping under normal driving situations. How would i go about implicating these values to know what to set the timing to based of the histogram. Or can i even go about it this way.
    Here is a log along with the histogram for advance and retard.

07 malibu Main Spark - Timing Advance.hst
    07 malibu log.hpl

Not sure timing is going to help fuel economy much, but I gained some mpg increasing trans pressures. I've got a SRI, bigger manifold and TB, and complete exhaust and get Prius MPG if I really want to. Trans pressures raised, added 2* to both octane tables, removed 1.5lbs/hr from my most frequently used MAF cruise Hz

Quote Originally Posted by CatnipG5Bandit View Post
    Not sure timing is going to help fuel economy much, but I gained some mpg increasing trans pressures. I've got a SRI, bigger manifold and TB, and complete exhaust and get Prius MPG if I really want to. Trans pressures raised, added 2* to both octane tables, removed 1.5lbs/hr from my most frequently used MAF cruise Hz
    Well timing was not really a point of interest for me but i wanted to look at it to just see is when i noticed that it wouldn't read. I will look at other items for fuel economy also. Thanks

For any GM car the standard is turning off the nannies and getting the MAF (and VE if equipped) dialed. They have an obsession with new cars to make them run rich and pulling 48° of timing if anything happens (including starting the car). It's good for warranty, not so much for performance and mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    For any GM car the standard is turning off the nannies and getting the MAF (and VE if equipped) dialed. They have an obsession with new cars to make them run rich and pulling 48° of timing if anything happens (including starting the car). It's good for warranty, not so much for performance and mileage.
    This. On my stock MAF/VE tune with the above mentioned mods it was still getting to 11.8AFR from 4500rpm+.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

I dont think my car has ever seen those rpms lol. Well maybe every great once in a while just to clean her out. My wife drives it to work everyday. Its about 40-45 miles each way.