Thread: 99 buick 3800 in a sand rail

Potential Tuner

99 buick 3800 in a sand rail

Putting a 3800 engine and pcm from a 99 buick in a sand rail. Trying to turn off vats and all other unnecessary functions. Can not get the engine to run longer than 2 seconds. Injectors shutting off. From what inhave reserched it is still the vats causing the problem. Can anyone help us newbies please? Any help is greatly appreciated.

No tune to look at. Look for this in your tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    When we go into security and to the VATS section, it only gives us the option to change the VATS from serial to PWM. We have changed the DTC 1629 and 1630 to no error reported but still no change. I have attached the original read from the ecm before any changes were made.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You did P1631 too right?

It might need to be set on PWM.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-18-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Yes we changed P1631 to 3 no error reported also. We also tried it both ways, PWM and serial and still same condition. Will start for 2 sec and die. Loses signal to the injectors.

Potential Tuner
    Can I change the PCM to a grand prix ECM and eliminate the VATS system altogether? From what I have researched, the buick also has a BCM and has to communicate with the PCM in order to start. Like I have said before, this engine is in a sand rail and we do not need any functions except for the engine functions. I am wondering if a different PCM would be better to work with.

A GTP pcm would work. Then you'd have no VATS problems.

Get a 99-00 if you can. 01+ I think use a cat test feature that is really dumb. And a 2003 couldnt be used either. 97's are 97 only aswell, pcm style is different and they used a different throttle body with a bar in the middle to direct airflow.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.