Thread: E38 swap always fires on the second try, never on the first.

E38 swap always fires on the second try, never on the first.

I'm working on a 69 Camaro with an LS7 4L70e swap. E38 ECM, 07 Silverado OS, disabled VATS and starter checksstarting issues 04.hptno start.cfgstart up 04.hpl. Just got it to run a drive to start tuning but having a weird issue with cranking. It will turn over but never fire the first time you turn the key regardless of low long you hold the key down. However, it will always fire right up on the second key turn. It doesn't matter if I switch it off or just hit the starter again.

Here is the kicker, when its completely cold it will start up the first time. Its not showing any fuel cuts, the voltage drops a bit during starting but no real difference between the times it fires and the times that it doesnt. I've tried adding a jump box to the mix to insure good amperage but no change. I havent mechanically logged fuel pressure but the pump runs the same every time. And I have primed it via bodirectional controls before attempting the initial crank, that just seem to flood it and make it crank a little harder the second go round.

Is this even a tuning problem or something mechanical? The car has never ran before and wouldnt even try until I turned off the starter checks.

Perhaps increasing the Cranking FA vs Cranking Time table 10-20% might help. It might be too lean to fire until the 2nd prime keystart.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Ditto.

Tuner
    My E-38 car does the same thing, it's almost like something on the Can Bus Lags behind if you key on then off and back on it will fire first hit if not you could crank it for minutes and eventually it might fire...