Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 f150 4x4 4.6

04 f150 4x4 4.6

I might be getting my hands on one soon (probably a 2v, doubt its a 3v) and need some threads on where to start. Definitely need throttle changes because its just aweful to drive, like VERY unresponsive as im sure you all know. Tranny, spark, maf cal, whatever else usually gets modified on these trucks, ya know, the tuning basics.

If you guys can post some good threads for me to read id appreciate it then once i get the truck and have a better understanding i can ask more specific questions.

Thanks guys.
    2008 Sky RL

Senior Tuner
    Biggest change on the trucks, I've found, is the WOT delay settings and the timing. Taking out the WOT delay will make an immediate difference.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 05-13-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    Jaime

thanks. are there threads on this i can read up on beforehand?
    2008 Sky RL

anyone?

i did a quick search and couldnt find much.
    2008 Sky RL

anybody have a good .cfg handy for an 04 4.6 f150? or can tell me what parameters need to be logged for basic tuning of 93 octane and an intake? thanks.
    2008 Sky RL

ok finally pulled the stock tune.

where should i start for a basic tune?

04 F150 4.6 4X4 STX Stock.hpt
    2008 Sky RL

Advanced Tuner
    As electec said above, wot delay. Then work the fuel with the MAF curve. After that timing.

I know that's not telling you a whole lot, but it's really up to you to learn the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire67 View Post
    As electec said above, wot delay. Then work the fuel with the MAF curve. After that timing.

I know that's not telling you a whole lot, but it's really up to you to learn the rest.
    is there something i can read to get me started on this? i havent been able to find much info online regarding my truck.
    2008 Sky RL

Advanced Tuner
    You probably won't find much specific to your truck.. But thankfully it's a Ford, and they have been getting DAY tuned forever. It for the most part is as simple as I've outlined above. Just figuring out how to arrive at final values is up to you.

You probably won't find much specific to your truck.. But thankfully it's a Ford, and they have been getting DAY tuned forever. It for the most part is as simple as I've outlined above. Just figuring out how to arrive at final values is up to you.
    thats about as broad as you can get and no actual help lol.
    2008 Sky RL

Advanced Tuner
    Edit, I meant DIY tuned above, not day. Lol.

Listen your not going to get anyone on this forum or any forum for that matter to walk you through, step by step on exactly what to do. For a good few of us, that knowledge is how we feed our families. So if you want someone to give you everything short of a custom tune, or lessons in the most basic tuning conepts, get ready to fork over some money. The pros on here didn't get there by receiving handouts, it cost them time and money. So don't get too disappointed by people not jumping at the chance to tell you how to tune.

Here's info on a tuning guide written by a very knowledgeable individual.http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ght=Ford+guide

http://www.modularfords.com/content/...sing-HP-Tuners

For a good few of us, that knowledge is how we feed our families.
    if that was true then why would they be on the forum in the first place? if theyre not willing to help out then why should they expect help. your logic is flawed or people are extremely selfish and want to get everything and give nothing. im thinking its the second one...
    2008 Sky RL

question about spark borderline knock vs spark mbt.

spark tables.png

should i copy the load table from rows .1-.3 in the mbt and paste it into the borderline table? seems like all but one of the borderline tables are higher in those cells than mbt so i figured dropping them to the mbt could possibly net some power.

but would that possible extra power, even though the timing is a lot lower, cause knock because of the power increase (if there is one)? or is the load and spark too low to worry about knock?

i would just do it to test it but i cant figure out how to log knock so im gonna hold out till then. just wanted to see what you guys think will happen.

also what about the rows .4-.9, how should i go about with those?

i would love to just copy and paste the whole mbt table but i dont think my engine would last long doing that even with 93 octane lol.
    Last edited by |V3nom|; 07-19-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    2008 Sky RL

The PCM looks at the borderline knock calculation (table + all the modifiers) and it also looks at the MBT calculation (table + modifiers) and it takes the lower of the two.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

so would setting the lower loads equal to mbt make it easier/smoother on the pcm since it doesnt have to compare?
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    http://www.modularfords.com/content/...sing-HP-Tuners

if that was true then why would they be on the forum in the first place? if theyre not willing to help out then why should they expect help. your logic is flawed or people are extremely selfish and want to get everything and give nothing. im thinking its the second one...
    The reason they are on this board is to talk you into seeing your work without putting out their work...It seems to be a Ford "tuner" thing, because most of the GM community freely shares information and wants to actually help.

Quote Originally Posted by 02reaper View Post
    The reason they are on this board is to talk you into seeing your work without putting out their work...It seems to be a Ford "tuner" thing, because most of the GM community freely shares information and wants to actually help.
    well i know eric@hpt is super helpful and actually gave me that link. i think once hpt gets a good grip on tuning ford pcms well see more people sharing freely. people are still learning just like the dodge guys, except they have a long way to go lol.
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    well i know eric@hpt is super helpful and actually gave me that link. i think once hpt gets a good grip on tuning ford pcms well see more people sharing freely. people are still learning just like the dodge guys, except they have a long way to go lol.
    Eric does help a lot, but he has enough on his plate right now while trying to help every new guy trying to tune their Ford vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 02reaper View Post
    Eric does help a lot, but he has enough on his plate right now while trying to help every new guy trying to tune their Ford vehicle.
    guess thatd be me lol.

im reading up when i can and learning but until knock logging is supported in the scanner im not going to do too much.
    2008 Sky RL

I understand...Everyone has to learn somewhere, even the guys who do this for a living had help. Don't think for a minute though that they figured it all out on their own without any help. I had a tune done by one of the popular tuners right now and it wouldn't idle right. I was left holding the bag and had to wait on HPTuners and do A LOT of experimenting to figure out the problem. Thing is, he asked me to tell him if I figured it out so he could turn around and help another guy with the same problem. I did, and when I asked why the changes I made fixed it, he claimed he understood why, but he and other tuners spent a lot of time figuring this out and that was their business. So yeah, they like to take your stuff, but don't like to share their stuff.