Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC Running Rich

Tuner
    I am setting up for VE tuning next. it says "To tune the VE, set Engine Diagnostics -> Airflow -> MAF Sensor -> MAF Fail High to 0Hz to disable the MAF
    You'll need to copy the high octane table to the low table" Are they referring to the timing table? I did not see anything else to do with high low octane.

Yes. Applies to any ecu with VE tuning. You're just making sure that timing isn't changing for bad gas (hence the existence of the low octane table). As a tip, I suggest raising PE enable limits. Be real slow and smooth on throttle, hit all your cells, and log only while going uphill when the engine is under load. This will give you the most accurate numbers. Same with MAF tuning. Always uphill under load. Running in 4th and 5th ~800-1500rpm I was able to completely eliminate the lowball shutter on GTO's and C6's.

Tuner
    Awesome tip. Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. probably why I can get the first 4 cells nailed down.

The load tip came from a friend who runs a race shop and builds LS1/2/7/A/9/etc for the past 15 years. Shop will remain unnamed, but he knows what he's doing. He doesn't just bolt stuff on.

Tuner
    I was looking at my log from the drive home. It has the new MAF table. I need to dial in my table a little better. I see some rich spots and one spot close to the end seams a little on the lean side. I saw a 12.15 AFR around 5800 rpm. Ill post my log and cfg.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    careful with the scanner configs im having issues with custom pids right now and trying to find time to contact support group. double check your formulas are working correctly before making any ve changes
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    I worked on my MAF table on and off this week. I got it dialed in a lot better now According to my maf error % logs In Maf tuning setup. I loaded the new maf table and it looks better in some spots. But now I am seeking -10 at idle and lower rpm in 5th is around -15. I cant win for loosing. On the upside my cruising trims are with 0-2%. It was around +20 percent ltft. So that much is better. My question is should I move on to VE tuning? And could the VE table be my fuel trim issue. I live in central PA and have no shortage of hills and mountains to use for loading the engine for tuning. But man this is time consuming without a dyno. LOL

You ve tune first then come in with the maf

You don't use a dyno for ve and MAF.

oh yes i do but you can get pretty close on the street if you verified everything else properly

You don't NEED to. You CAN do whatever you want lol. VE and MAF should be load tuned. Unless you have that dyno where you pull the wheels off and bolt the dyno to the hubs (forgot the name) which can be set for load tuning, you're wasting your money. There's absolutely no reason for him to waste dyno time for VE and MAF.

roller dynos have loading capabilities...it requires an eddy current motor..see mustang dyno. 8P

See cost of Mustang dyno. You're arguing a moot point rather than helping him. He may think he has to go to a dyno to tune. Unnecessary. Get a hill, save hundreds of dollars.

im done here...all you

Tuner
    Well I apparently missed something here. LOL. Well to settle that argument I am not going to a dyno anytime soon. Because the closest dyno is about 2 hours away. I will keep tweaking here and see what happens. I will do some work on my VE tuning this week. I tuned the MAF first because somewhere along the way it was said I just needed to dial in the MAF. Then all should be fine due to the canned tune I got. I will be taking a trip to a long steep hill in Mexico to make some pulls in 3rd and 4th gear. If I had access to a dyno I would be in heaven to get some good steady state data. But I know that won't happen anytime soon. I do appreciate all the help cobaltssoverbooster. Don't bail on me now bro. LOL

Tuner
    I noticed a problem over the weekend. loaded my new maf table into my tune and let the fuel trims settle in. My idle was of -10 now. it was around +10 ltft. I went back and loaded my Maf tune into my car and reviewed my afr error histogram. I happened to open my primary table and and noticed my pid for afr error wasn't matching what my table said. MY pid witch is the same as whats in my histogram said -10% and my histo said +4 WTF. So just for kicks I modified the cell for that in my MAF table and loaded it up with my regular tune to see what happens to my idle LTFT. After reseting fuel trims it settled down to around 1-2% at idle. So I must be having histogram issues now. Why is my afr error % different in my maf afr error % histogram if it uses the same pid? no filters.
    Last edited by Speedracer7g; 07-28-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Nothing to get upset about. Everyone's working to help everyone else out. If he doesn't have to spend $ on dyno sessions he shouldn't. Not offering help for Speedracer any more doesn't do anything to me. It only sets him back more.

People tend to read everything with a negative connotation rather than take a more objective viewpoint.

Tuner
    I have made that mistake before. I would love to have an opportunity to go to a dyno and do all this tuning in a safe controlled environment. I would prefer it. But its not in the cards for me.

Tuner
    Now back to why my histograms off.