Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC Running Rich

Tuner

2005 Cobalt SS/SC Running Rich

I have a 2005 cobalt ss/sc that I bought last fall. The car was modified when I bought it. I went over it to see what was all done. I found it has a zzp 2.8 pully, long tube header and full three inch stainless exhaust no Cat. It also has an injen CIA, 60lb injectors, and thee added zzp heat exchanger. I am new to tuning but have been reading up on the basics so bare with me. I have a AEM wideband and a aeromotive scan gauge to keep an eye on my vitals.

My concern is that I took it out the last week or so and it seemed a little off. So I checked my IAT2 tems and they are not perfect but seem to be in check. About 95 deg during cruising on a 80 deg day. I plan on addressing that later. What I did notice is that my ltft is between +15 to +20. that seemed a little high to me. I also noticed that under WOT that my AFR is around 11 to 10.9. I have a ZZP tune done to match all my mods but it seems off. I will be purchasing the HPtuners software in the next few weeks. For now I know there is not much you may be able to tell me until I can pull some logs. Any ideas would be a great. I didn't realy notice it much in the winter monthes. could it be the mouse piss for fuel they sell around here. LOL I live in central PA. help.

ZZP tune mail order? Sent to you, plug in and go?

Senior Tuner
    you're actually lean. it is adding that percentage of fuel. check for leaks after the maf.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    Ok Thanks for the input. I will check it out. I had it apart not that long ago. Maybe something is not tight. My MAF gets wet sometimes due to the CAI. Maybe it is messed up.

Tuner
    Yes it was a mail order deal with ZZP. I gave them the specs and they programmed it.

What are your stft?

Tuner
    I believe that were about the same. I didn't drive the car the last few days. weather has been rainy. And My CIA sucks up all the water. I will check it next time I drive it.

Did you just drive the tune, or have you tuned the maf since? I'm asking because plug-and-play tunes can't properly tune your MAF without logging and adjusting. Important on engines, critical on boosted engines. This is because electronic components vary. If I give you 100 10ohm resistors, not one will be 10ohm. You'll see 9.98, 10.03, 9.84, etc.

It's this variance times thousands of electrical components (and varying resistances in the wiring/soldering/etc) that you're "tuning" for. I work a lot with circuitry, and it's an issue we deal with daily.

Have to get the MAF dialed asap. Then, posting a tune will let people help you get it dialed. They may have accidentally set PE too rich, who knows?

Tuner
    Thanks Bill Doe. I am an electronics tech by day so i get what your saying. I checked my wifes car compared to mine to see what i should be getting and my car is off. I also finally got a chance to drive the car this evening and my stft are all over but mostly adding fuel up to 10-12% ltft is around 20. I checked for leaks on the intake and didnt find any. My problems didnt start till the weather got warmer here. in the colder months my AFR was still around 11.5. Now that its warmer its around 11-10.4. I am impatienly waiting for my opportunity to by this software. I guess i will have some fine tuning to do. Could the Maf be bad? I am not getting any codes for it.

All speculation without a log. Post one as soon as you can.

Tuner
    Did some testing andv found I had a bad o-ring on my injector on cylinder 3. Replaced it and put it all back together. Drove it and things are looking better so far. I will have to drive it for a day or two till the fuel trims settle in. So far they are around 8 or so but that was only driving around the rural roads and for about 20min. Ill get it on the open road to see what happens. So far the weather sucks for taking the car to work. Rain rain rain. Ill keep you posted. Oh I also changed the plugs. NGK brk7e

Tuner
    Well thought i had it. But i don't. I installed the phenolic spacer kit today. I replaced all my gaskets and and vacuum lines. All with the battery disconnected as for safety and to reset the fuel trims. Started it back up and still have higher than normal fuel trims. Idle is around 5.4 and well i have been seeing as high as 21 at times wile driving. I did a vacuum leak test and everything is sealed up tight. So i know that is not an issue now. Anyhow i know this data is all useless to you guys on the forum. But what i wanted to know is if my fuel trims are higher than normal will that trow my WOT fueling off and make it rich. Because in theory if my fuel trims are high i am running lean. So is the PCM smart enough and figures it will raise the fuel trims for WOT. I am curious how this works. On another note I am beginning to wonder if i may have a bad MAF.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    without the car in person zzp will only generally be able to get close. unless you opted to keep sending them data to keep programming updates.
    Area47 has seen this many a times as well. if you can maintain his attention then that would be best for you unless you talk to zzp and they want you to work with them before leaving their services.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Well at this point i may just contact ZZP and see what they can do. I may just wait until i get HPtuners and go from there. I would much rather learn to do this myself. I think i will replace my MAF and then wait till HPtuners gets here. thanks for all the advice.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    without the car in person zzp will only generally be able to get close. unless you opted to keep sending them data to keep programming updates.
    Area47 has seen this many a times as well. if you can maintain his attention then that would be best for you unless you talk to zzp and they want you to work with them before leaving their services.
    I see what you did there!

in short. Calibrate the maf and the fuel trim issue will go away.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    hptuners in hand finally. Will calibrate the Maf and go from there.

updates?

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Tuner
    Works been to busy to tune my stuff. I am working on getting my scanner config set up so i can monitor my iat and boost. Then set up my histograms. Once i get that i will post my findings. I have a custom boost pid made up but no so sure it is accurate.

Tuner
    I am looking for a scanner config setup for my sc lsj. any ideas?

Tuner
    @japeatr do you know what the custom PID setting are for IAT2?