Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 370ci turbo on e85 help, wont go into boost

370ci turbo on e85 help, wont go into boost

Hey guys,

I have an issue that has me stumped. I just got the car all back together from the recent build, and it will not go into boost. I have been all over the car mechanically and electrically and haven't found anything that has tripped my attention. Basically what the car is doing, is when I get on the throttle to start building boost, the MAP will go up to the 105kpa-110kpa region, and then after that it breaks up real bad and stutters and wont build past that. I have tried (sketchy) to stay in the throttle a little longer a couple of times, but that wasn't getting me anywhere. The most I have made on the car is about 4psi, and I have that in a log. Was going to see if you guys had any ideas. Let me know, I sure wish I could enjoy the project i spent months and thousands on. lol

Specs:
    2000 Pontiac TransAm
    TH400
    2 bar OLSD
    370ci LQ4, AFR 225cc
    Garrett 74mm T6
    Siemens Deka 80# injectors
    NGK BR7EFs @0.025"
    Edelbrock pro-flo intake
    Genuine GM Cobalt 2 bar MAP
    On e85

4.3 psi and thats it.hpl
    Jordan's E85.cfg
    changed timing a little.hpt
    Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 05-08-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I like it.
    Did it all work at one time?
    You should get rid of the std MAP PID in the scanner table display. You only want the 2bar.
    Can you explain what you mean by it breaks up?
    Where is your wideband? I don't see it in the log. You could be going real rich.
    Also, I'd lower the timing to 15 or so in all the boost areas....you are a bit aggressive for starting out. I see KR as it begins to enter boost.

Ron
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 05-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Hey Ron, thanks for the response. Yeah I will get rid of the stock MAP, and my wideband is being logged as "Actual AFR" in my log. I have no narrowbands on my car. The wideband itself is placed in the picture right behind my upper radiator hose, but obviously on the downpipe. So, it is pretty much exactly in the middle in distance away from the turbine, and away from the opening of the pipe (Which is in the fender).

What I mean by breaks up, is it almost sounds how a car would sound on a 2 step, and it sputters. What is odd to me, is the AFR stays reasonable when it is doing this. I mean granted, the car is not fully tuned yet, because I encountered this problem, so the VE is still a little off, but it is not the worst of my problems right now. So that is why I am thinking it is either something in the tune or something related to spark. I am just still stumped as to why it chooses to do this RIGHT at 105kpa. Seems very specific, since that is where positive boost regions start.

EDIT: Oh, I just understood your question, no it did not work at one time. Besides before I went turbo on it, it worked when it was N/A.
    Last edited by 93camaro_zzz; 05-08-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    There is no WB in the scanner table. And no AFR Actual in the log file charts......
    At least I'm not seeing it.
    :-)

This is what I See:

Capture.JPG

Anyway, have you logged ignition voltage?
    Tried a wider plug gap?
    I have BE populated with the same EQ ratio as PE. But I don't think that matters.

I'm also single turbo, 3bar on E85. So far so good. If it ever quits raining, I'm ready for drag strip tuning.
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 05-09-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Hmm, that is wierd. Are you using my config file as well? I definitely have data for the Actual AFR on my graphs when I play mine. I have not logged Ignition Voltage yet. Is that something that should pretty much be linearly related to rpm when I log it?
    I have tried a wider plug gap. When I first started tuning it, the plugs were on 0.032". Same story.

Ron, have you tried doing my tune file as a compare file to see if there is something that grossly stands out? I have tried to do this myself, but it is hard to find people that are not only turbocharged, but also on e85. Thanks for the responses so far.

Nobody can see your custom PIDs.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks DSteck for clearing that up!

Advanced Tuner
    I did a compare. Everything lights up green. My OS is a 99 Camaro.

Voltage should be 13.5+. Whatever the alt puts out basically.

Do you have the pro mpvi?
    I see several unsupported parameters when I load up your config. And I don't see anything even grayed out in the I/O section of the table. Very odd.

Ron

Yeah, I don't have the pro version unfortunately. Soooo many times do I regret that I should have bought the pro version. lol So my wideband has to be wired through my EGR.

Anyways. Yeah, that is a good point to log ignition voltage. I might throw that in the log, and take the car out again today and see if I notice anything.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, good luck!
    You will like it when it works!
    Get rid of that KR, even a little is not good.
    Ron

what are your plugs gapped at?

I just seen .032" in your previous post. try tightening gap to .020". boosted applications will blow out spark - more boost requires less gap.
    Last edited by 68Camaro; 05-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Yeah, I have them at 0.025" right now, but that couldn't be the problem. The car won't even make boost to blow out the spark.

Advanced Tuner
    Mine are at .035. I'm at 11 psi. No issues.

Yeah. You are running the same plug as me RonSSnova?

Advanced Tuner
    Ngk TR6 actually

Advanced Tuner
    I'm still thinking.......

BTW, here is mine:

Ron
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Advanced Tuner
    Couple of questions.
    Wastegate just a dump?
    What spring in it?
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Yes the wastegate is just dumped, and it has a 10# spring in it.

And your setup looks awesome man!