Thread: Help a Newb Out That is Probably In Over His Head

Tuner

Help a Newb Out That is Probably In Over His Head

OK this one will likely be a long one so grab a frosty beverage and settle in...

I have an 07 Cadillac CTS V with the following drivetrain mods: TVS 2300 Supercharger, Deka 60 lbs shorty Injectors, LS7 MAF, Omega Thermistor Mod, Heads (GM LSA ported & polished – home job), Cam (218/238 .598”/.615” 12- LSA +2), Kooks 1 7/8” Headers (wrapped), DW 300 Fuel Pump, Kenne Bell Single Pump Boost a Pump, 18 lbs flywheel & MacLeod RXT Dual Disk Clutch, and Tick Master Cylinder

I hired a professional tuner with a very good reputation to tune the vehicle as I new this would be a difficult tune (all mods installed simultaneously and the E67 PCM). The results have been interesting to say the least. The dyno numbers are outstanding (roughly 650 HP at the wheels) but the car only runs well (well at this point is defined as without knock) on the day it is tuned After reviewing the tune, attached, I think I know why.

2013 October 25 - LANES COMPLETED TUNE.hpt
    config for v CEF.cfg
    5 May 2014.1855.hpl

Again I am just a newb but I expected to see the injector data for the Dekas and the MAF entered along with "scaling" of the tune. Maybe I am just too much of a newb to recognize the changes but I don't think so.

At this point I believe I need to start from scratch and have prepared the following first cut.

base 07 v w Thermister and MAP mod and general stuff (cags, speed limit) inj and ling 100mm maf .hpt

The following is the rationale for the changes included in this tune:

Edits for general good practice
    OS
    -General
    --General
    ---TCS Patch
    ---TCS Patch 2
    Transmission
    -Manual CAGS
    --General
    ---CAGS Min Coolant Temp
    System
    -Fans
    --General
    ---Fan Desired % vs ECT

Items adjusted for LS7 MAF utilization
    Engine
    -Airflow
    --General
    ---MAF Calibration
    ----Airflow vs Freq Low
    ----Airflow vs Freq High

Items scaled because of injector size limitation in PCM (65% Scale Factor Used)
    Engine
    -Idle
    --RPM
    ---Proportional
    ----Airflow
    ---Integral
    ----Airflow
    ---Base Running Airflow
    ----Airflow Final Minimum
    ---AC Airflow
    ----AC Ramp In
    ---Cooling Fan Airflow
    ----Low On
    ----Med On
    ----Hi On
    ----Hi Off
    ---Transimission Shift Airflow
    ----Drive Step
    ----P/N Step
    ---Startup
    ----Startup
    ---Throttle Follower
    ----Airflow Step Down
    ----Airflow Step
    ----Airflow Max
    -Airflow
    --General
    ---MAF Calibration
    ----Airflow vs Freq Low
    ----Airflow vs Freq High
    -Fuel
    --General
    ---Flow Rate
    ----Flow Rate vs Press
    ---Offset
    ----Offset vs Volts vs MAP
    ---Pulse Corrections
    ----Short Pulse Adder
    ---Limits
    ----Min Injector Pulse
    --Cutoff, DFCO
    ---Cylair
    ----Enable
    ----Disable
    --Open & Closed Loop
    ---LTFT Purge Cells
    ----Reduction

Items Changed to use Edelbrock Supplied Bosch TMAP
    Engine Diagnostics
    -Airflow
    --MAP Sensor
    ---MAP Sensor Linear
    ---MAP Sensor Offset

Items Changed to use Omega Thermistor
    Engine Diagnostics
    -Airflow
    --IAT Sensor
    --IAT Sensor Curve

Items Changed for Handling Increased HP
    Engine
    -Torque Management
    --General
    ---Trans Input Torque Limit
    ---Trans Output Torque Limit
    --Traction Control System
    ---Delivered Torque Max
    Speedometer
    -Limiter
    --General
    ---Speed Limiter
    ---Speed Limiter 2

Items changed to support Tick Master Cylinder
    System
    -General
    --Clutch Interlock"

So now to the question. Does anyone see any reason why this isn't a good first cut? Also, in trying to get familiar with the Bluecat tool I imported the stock CTS V LS2 VE data. However, when finished I ended up with the following:

Screenshot 2014-05-05 15.40.46.png

I am guessing I did something wrong because of the large deltas in the data but I have tried this multiple times. Any pointers to get me rolling in the right direction?

For those who might suggest that I take it back to the tuner - He has made two attempts at tuning the vehicle and this is the result. He has had the car for seven weeks during those attempts at tuning (he did two more mods fuel pump and clutch - I later had to redo the clutch - dragging). At this point I cannot see wasting more time with him.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tuner
    Bump

Tuner
    Still working this. I am having a few issues that I hope someone can clarify.

1. Probably an easy one for the experienced guys. The fuel around here is typically E10. The PCM is commanding 14.68 AFR. There is a STOICH AFR table but FLEX FUEL is disabled so I assume there is no fuel composition sensor. If this is the case should I adjust all cells of the STOICH AFR table to 14.13? I have read several threads about this but no one seems to come out and say how to address it in the E67 PCM.

2. The bigger concern is that for some reason the AFR keeps leaning out the longer the car runs. It will go from pretty rich to dead lean in the same freq cells over multiple logs (see links - wouldn't attach all files for some reason).

Synopsis

RUN 1 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 0.87 0.84 0.82 0.77 0.75 0.85 0.84 0.83 0.85 0.83
    Fuel Pressure 65 early 62 late

RUN 2 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 0.89 0.92 0.9 0.9 0.9 0.91 0.94 0.94 0.93 0.94
    Fuel Pressure 62psi

RUN 3 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 0.94 0.98 0.96 0.97 0.97 0.98 1.01 1.02 0.99 0.97
    Fuel Pressure 61 psi

RUN 4 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 0.96 0.99 0.99 1.02 1.02 1.03 1.06 1.06 1.02 1.01
    Fuel Pressure 59psi

RUN 5 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 0.91 0.91 0.96 0.96 1.01 1.02 1.02 1.03
    Fuel Pressure 59psi

RUN 6 MAF Freq (kHz) 2.35 2.5 2.65 2.8 2.95 3.1 3.25 3.4 3.5 3.7
    Lambda Error 1 1.02 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04 1.04
    Fuel Pressure 59psi

Between runs 4 and 5 I adjusted the tune to add the stock OPEN LOOP GAIN stuff back in thinking the intake valve temps might be the issue. I am also going to pull the BAP as the fuel pressure is also decreasing. The injector values should be good for multiple pressures but I am unsure why the pressure is dropping so I want to eliminate it as a possible variable.

Can someone puruse the tune to see if I have something that I need to disable that might be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yroaje1u19...%20v%20CEF.cfg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cw4f6hfp3...922%20cold.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw36rmr19x...925%20warm.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnx2i1br85...939%20warm.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qof2xrdy3u...952%20warm.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/witrb2aias...ju%20added.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhvrpb7uch...ju%20added.hpl
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn07p96cge...0adjusters.hpt
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3b6sms3sh...rim%201925.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Update - I am still seeing the leaning out with temp increase but overall the car is MUCH better (tune attached). I am running in MAF only open loop mode and the car leans out when it heat soaks (after a short stop somewhere, sitting in stop and go traffic, etc.). I am beginning to wonder if I should not have relocated the IAT sensor. The Edelbrock kit moves it into the MAP sensor in the blower but this heat soaks VERY badly. On the suggestion of others I built a thermistor based IAT sensor and located it after the intercooler in the blower and did all of the sensor recalibration base off of the manufacturers data. This works much better in terms of accuracy of the charge temp but I think it may be causing the AFR issues I noted before. I realize the MAF is supposed to compensate for any changes in air temp as part of its operation but are issues created when you separate the IAT sensor from the MAF? I have seen Mercin comment a few times about this (nothing too detailed) but others seem to swear by this approach (at least on NA cars that heat soak). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by sssnake; 08-03-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: attach tune

Tuner
    Come on guys! I am willing to offer a six pack

PM sent
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner
    Chris,

Thanks for the response PM sent.

To share with anyone else reviewing the post:
    The logs and attached tune are for MAF calibration only. The left stock 02 sensor is replaced in this configuration by the wideband. There is simply not enough room to get the wideband in with the stockers while meeting the NGK install specs. I felt this approach (replacing the narrow band with the wideband) would be more accurate while doing MAF calibration.

Tuner
    While digging around on the EFI Live forum (I know but I am desperate ) I found a post about tuning the IFR based on IATs to prevent leaning with IAT increase. I will give that a shot and see where it leads me. All of the stock values were 1 so no adjustment with temp but I want to get this cal right so the SD portion of the tune will be accurate (doing SD based upon MAF based air model). However, if anyone else has a silver bullet please feel free to share.

Tuner
    I was also reviewing the log files today and noticed that the filter for lambda error wasn't working. In adding the Inj Tip Temp and IVT logging I removed FTC. FTC is used as one of my filter parameters. Evidently HPT doesn't throw an error code for this or filter everything out it just ignores the filter.

Learning more every day.

Advanced Tuner
    I personally don't have this issue on my eforce car and I am doubting its related to the eforce. I have no idea if all that scaling is done properly since I just used the "double stoich, halve IFR" method myself.

You could try starting the car cold, logging the AFR at idle until it warms up, and note the amount it leans out at certain temps. Than you could try adjusting the "IFR modifier vs IAT " table by that amount and see if it helps.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner
    RealCanuk,

Thanks for the feedback. I did something similar last night/today. I built a histogram that recorded Lambda vs MAF Freq and IAT. Made several logs and then dumped that data into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet takes all of the measured lambda values multiplies by the count then sums. All of this is then divided by the total count. What has become apparent is that for every 10C increase in temp the car is leaning out around 2%. I used the 2% adjustment factor on the measured lambdas for each individual MAF Freq and IAT cell and everything ended up falling within +- 1%. I am putting the adjustment factor back into the IFR Modifier vs IAT table. I'll get some more logs soon.

BTW - I don't necessarily think this is due to the Eforce. I do think FI and intercooling exacerbates the problem (the intercooler tends to become a heating element when it is heat soaked). I'm not sure why I am seeing this really but the adjusted data is looking really nice right now. I just hope that it will look as nice a couple of weeks from now.

Thanks to all and let me know where to send the six packs.