Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFR error PID setup guide

AFR error PID setup guide

Looking all over for a write up on how to properly setup custom PID in the scanner to log afr error. Trying to tune a e40s VE table.

Also looking for the way to setup the MAF error table to tune that as well after the VE is all dialed in.

Did a search and looked in the stickies and didn't see it after a hour of looking. Also tryed the help files in the hpt scanner with no luck.

Thanks

Anyone?

Going to be using a aem wideband incase that matters.

Was hopeing by now someone would have responded. Did more searchin and still for some reason im not getting what I'm looking for.

If I can't log what I need to log properly then really there is no way to properly tune this car. Can anyone help me out here with what pids I should setup and how exactly to set them up in the scanner to tune the ve table and maf table properly...

Advanced Tuner
    What part are you having trouble with? Have you set up your wideband in the table yet?
    2006 Holden Monaro I Phantom Black Metallic I Red I One of 416
    L92/L76 I Streetsweeper HTR I SLP LT I LoudMouth 2
    JHP V2 I Powdercoated Black 18s I Kyne Splitter

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Yes I was able to log the wideband everything there worked fine.

What I'm looking for is setting up the custom histograms? Or pids to log afr error to tune the ve table and the maf hi/lo table using the copy-paste special feature. Been looking high and low and for some reason no luck.

What I remember seeing and reading about I thought you had to custom make in the scanner and it was called what I thought to be a afr error histogram. You then just took that table and used the copy paste special feature and generate new VE values with it.
    Last edited by 2004gtols1; 05-13-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Going to be tuning some more friday.....I would really like to be able to do it properly. Can anyone help me with this?

Not getting anywhere on this forum or tech.

Is what im asking for not exist or wtf was I reading about in the first place?

Tryed looking for info on how to use the copy past special feature also and didn't come up with much.

Maybe I'll try searching on google instead because most the time the forum search feature blows.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll try to get some screenshots for you. You need to put a few things in the table, either using AFR hires or EQ ratio. I use EQ. But basically you'll need (wideband-commanded)/(commanded) *100 Or (wideband/commanded)*100-100 both of those will give you an error percent similar to a fuel trim you can paste special multiply by percent.

As for setting up a histo just click on the little button to the right of the 12 and you'll probably see what you need.
    Last edited by Kyne; 05-14-2014 at 09:30 PM.

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Yes this is exactly what I was looking for. If you could get screen shots that would be awesome because I'm definitely a visual learner. If not some detailed instructions on what to do will work too. I've never done any of this before. I've only used RTT on my personal car and well that is pretty straight forward.

Should I do the whole VE with the WB afr error setup?

It will basically show the error from whatever is being cammanded at the time to the actual reading from the wideband whether your in closed loop commanding 14.7 or open loop with PE commanding 13.00 right?

Also I want to say PE is set to 1.130.....what afr would you typically target on a n/a car?

I'm used to my turbo setup and try to stay around 11.00
    Last edited by 2004gtols1; 05-15-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Have you ever tried tuning in lambda. It works for any type of fuel where stoich will be lambda equals 1 for any type of fuel. There is a good write up here. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...lambda-524099/ . You will have to set up your wideband in the scanner in lambda as well. It is all explained there. I have just been learning how to tune an E40 and the engine is blown and I am running a 100mm maf as well. To tune you have to be in open loop so you will have to change your tune to be in open loop for a start. You have a wideband so you can tune all the VE using your wideband. You will see in the write up that you can set up lambda error histos instead of afr error histos. If you want to set up lambda tuning then I will try to help you with it.
    Last edited by Force; 05-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.

To tune your VE you will have to fail your maf as well in the tune. Once the VE is tuned you change the tune to maf tune again and then you tune the maf. You will have to set up different pids in the scanner to tune the maf. The info you need is on greg banishes dvds as well. If you are going to learn to tune properly then I would advise buying gregs first dvd at least as it explains how to set up tuning the maf in the scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    I agree you should switch to Lambda but the idea of setting up is the same idea. First set up the error PID, I use my wideband in lambda divided by the inverse of thee equivalence ratio which is commanded lambda on the E40. That will give you a ratio, to turn it into a percent you can use in past multiply it by 100 and subtract 100. Here is my function:

You can also do the normal way of ((actual-theoretical)/theoretical)*100

This is to show you where the settings are, click the folder to the right of 12, where it says histogram settings.

This is my MAF low histo, you can see I am plotting my Lambda Error on the table and I have it filtered so that its only lower than 5800Hz.

Finally here is the table setup, just copy the axis from the calibration table and remove the commas.

Same idea as this to set up a VE table. Also you will have to change in the calibration from MAF to VE but I just use the scanner to force open loop.
    Last edited by Kyne; 05-15-2014 at 06:29 PM.

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004gtols1 View Post
    Should I do the whole VE with the WB afr error setup?

It will basically show the error from whatever is being cammanded at the time to the actual reading from the wideband whether your in closed loop commanding 14.7 or open loop with PE commanding 13.00 right?

Also I want to say PE is set to 1.130.....what afr would you typically target on a n/a car?

I'm used to my turbo setup and try to stay around 11.00
    I would start doing the VE with the wideband error and fine tune it with fuel trims.

AFR is kind of what you need to figure out what to run. 12.5-13.0AFR or .85-.88L, the EQ is just the inverse of those so you are running .88L.

And using commanded it will correct no matter what, though the transition can throw off the error, if you are commanding 12.5 and for a split second its still adding fuel it will show way lean.

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Thanks for all the help guys, this should hopefully get me started.

If I want to get a PE of 12.50 what should I set the PE table to?

I'm going to prolly tune in lambda but still need to know what PE should be set to exactly.

Also what timing table does the e40 use when in speed density? Should they both be set to the same timing like on gen 3 setups?

One other thing also is the car is a auto and when in speed density with the MAF failed it shifts harder into gear and while driving. What is the cause of this and should there be something done about it or is it okay?

Advanced Tuner
    12.5/14.7=.85.... 1/.85=1.176

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Okay I see what you did there.

Still unsure of the timing table deal and the harder shifting.

Thought that I read somewhere a long time ago that with the maf failed it kicks the line pressure up or something....I don't want to mess this guys trans up that's for sure.

This should be a sticky...come on mods...

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2

with an E40 the engine runs off the high octane table and if there is any knock retard then it will switch to the low octane table. This can be caused by something like a bad tank of fuel or something similar. What you should do is make the whole low octane table 3 degrees lower than the high octane in the same area. It is just a safety feature. I cant help you with the hard shifting of the auto, but it may be a safety mode as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Except when the maf is failed it runs off of low. And I've never had the shifting problem that I've noticed, have you done the traction control fix?

2001 GTP I Stock DD

oh ok, so if you are tuning the ve (and have the maf failed in the tune) it runs off the low octane. I did not know that. I can imagine we had the 2 tables the same when tuning the ve and then did the 3 degrees off the low table when doing the maf tuning.
    Last edited by Force; 05-16-2014 at 08:23 AM.