Thread: 10 degrees and getting knock ?

10 degrees and getting knock ? (LS1 sensor on LS2, sensitivity issue??)

Running ls1 ks on the ls2 block. I can tell if my sensitivity is off, or if I'm getting knock. I'm getting kr at 4800 rpm, and 5lbs of boost with 11.8 afr and 10 degrees of timing. This is on a built low compression motor as well. Any ideas
    Last edited by erics_02_z06; 05-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    mix in some race fueling (if it doesnt go) something is up with your knock sensor
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    erics-02-zo6 , mate what is your intake temp reading..... cheers Bret ULTIMATE LSX TUNING

Tuner in Training
    I'm running n/a ls2 with no knock sensors, there over rated

well, I have my IAT temp mounted in the back of my intake manifold, with the charge temp disabled. So I read around 130F, not really easy to compare to other IAT readings. I originally thought the sensor was heat soaked, but I did some calculations based on the Charge Temp equation, coolant temps, and ambient air temps, and those readings are probably pretty close after the air has heated up

I've attached a lot. I added some more fuel in the areas where there was knock. I'll pull a degree or two of timing, and then drive the car and see what happens. I have a feeling it is going to take a while to dial in these knock sensors. Does anyone else have the LS1 knock sensor on a LS2? Maybe I should start a new thread for that.

Advanced Tuner
    erics-02-z06 I gather not intercooled mate?.....how much KR are you seeing?......normally with a intercooler mate 14* W.O.T is a good starting point.....without one you are pushing it but then again 5lbs ain't much.....

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    erics-02-z06 I gather not intercooled mate?.....how much KR are you seeing?......normally with a intercooler mate 14* W.O.T is a good starting point.....without one you are pushing it but then again 5lbs ain't much.....
    Its intercooler. Maxing out at 12lbs of boost. The IAT seems high because it is measured at the back of the intake manifold.

Here is tonight's log: tonight.hpl

added some fuel and a little timing. Can you tell if its knock by looking at it, or do I have to find some race gas? I would pull more timing, but I heard to little timing can cause knock too. Does anyone have a ls1 knock sensor on a ls2 that I can see their sensitivity table?

Advanced Tuner
    looks like your fuelings out you have a commanded af of 14.7 and a map reading 141kpa, is this a SD tune what is your boost and pe tables set at, all so looking at the way your narrow bands are switching I would say your ve needs work this will play a roll as you go into WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    looks like your fuelings out you have a commanded af of 14.7 and a map reading 141kpa, is this a SD tune what is your boost and pe tables set at, all so looking at the way your narrow bands are switching I would say your ve needs work this will play a roll as you go into WOT.
    It's a speed density. I raped my ve to control all of my fueling. Be and pe set to 1, and the ve handles the afr. Also, closed loop at low rpm low tps, open loop all other times

Advanced Tuner
    Why have you tuned like that is there supposed some kind of benefit. Doesn't close loop work at low rpm cruise ect, and disable when in pe any ways?.

Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    Why have you tuned like that is there supposed some kind of benefit. Doesn't close loop work at low rpm cruise ect, and disable when in pe any ways?.
    I was going to run in open loop at all times, but my idle afr was going crazy due to heat soak of my IAT. Once I'm cruising, it gets back on track so I only use the o2's at idle and since my cam has little overlap it woks well.

Advanced Tuner
    I can post my stock ls1 tune so you can copy the sensitivity settings from there and see if that works.

Log file: Today.hpl

Turned on some water/meth injection. Mostly water because I was low on meth, but I figured it would be good to stop the KR if it was real. Look at this log, the KR basically starts as the water injects. I have a few pulls where it comes on exactly at the time the AFR drops because of the meth/water. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by erics_02_z06 View Post
    Log file: Today.hpl

Turned on some water/meth injection. Mostly water because I was low on meth, but I figured it would be good to stop the KR if it was real. Look at this log, the KR basically starts as the water injects. I have a few pulls where it comes on exactly at the time the AFR drops because of the meth/water. Any thoughts?
    Did another log this morning...same thing. When my AFR drops because of the water injection, I'm getting KR. Any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by erics_02_z06 View Post
    Did another log this morning...same thing. When my AFR drops because of the water injection, I'm getting KR. Any ideas?
    double check your injector data and make sure the tune is good for them, i was having issues where i was getting 11.8 ish AF and had 10degrees on 16psi just intercooler on 93oct, when i was getting injectors tuned it i had no knock, then i changed the pulse width or timing and i started getting alot of knock from that even though i still had 11.8 ish AF, i re logged datat and changed VE table around allite and once i retuned for the changed injector data all my knock went away and my car ran way smoother.

was having lean spike issues and delay throttle out of boost/on off the gas, why i changed injector data after i had boost dialed in, fixed my lean spike and throttle issues and just had to retune the VE in the boost section again and no issues, so might be worth it to double check injector data and compare with others tunes

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWS6 View Post
    double check your injector data and make sure the tune is good for them, i was having issues where i was getting 11.8 ish AF and had 10degrees on 16psi just intercooler on 93oct, when i was getting injectors tuned it i had no knock, then i changed the pulse width or timing and i started getting alot of knock from that even though i still had 11.8 ish AF, i re logged datat and changed VE table around allite and once i retuned for the changed injector data all my knock went away and my car ran way smoother.

was having lean spike issues and delay throttle out of boost/on off the gas, why i changed injector data after i had boost dialed in, fixed my lean spike and throttle issues and just had to retune the VE in the boost section again and no issues, so might be worth it to double check injector data and compare with others tunes
    so you had a lean spike causing the knock?