Thread: 12v power cleaner?

Advanced Tuner

12v power cleaner?

Keep getting voltage spikes that don't blow the fuse but do blow up the wideband... is there a power cleaner or what ever you call it I can run inline before the power the to the af meter?

Do you mean a buffer to control voltage spikes and offsets?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes please

Tuner in Training
    Do you know what is causing the spikes? Is your voltage regulator shot? I would fix whatever it is that's spiking first, if it kills the sideband what is it doing to the PCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure where it comes from, my guess is at start up. I have a ho alt. The FAST dual unit has blown up twice. So I want to protect it now.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay so I spoke to a car audio expert and he said there really isn't anything like that per say so I asked about a capacitor and he said it would probably do the same... which is supply a steady output vs directly from the batt/charging system

Potential Tuner
    depending on how much the wideband draws you could add a voltage regulator(such as this) along with the apropriate buffering capacitors to create a pretty clean output. the only problem is even if this meets the widebands draw, the voltage drop out may put the output closer to 11-11.5 volts when the engine is running
    06 silverado WT
    4.8L 4x4
    vette servo, debadge, 6k ddm hids, 4-hi mod, blue led guages

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by burninruber60 View Post
    depending on how much the wideband draws you could add a voltage regulator(such as this) along with the apropriate buffering capacitors to create a pretty clean output. the only problem is even if this meets the widebands draw, the voltage drop out may put the output closer to 11-11.5 volts when the engine is running
    I wouldn't know how to wire that in-line ? might not be enough with 3 amps though

Advanced Tuner
    $T2eC16Z,!)wFI(5C8df6BSYMTns14w~~60_57.jpg

Ok I did find this on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Terminals-...3D321265219818

Not real certain how to wire it although it looks self explanatory.. there are some options to it and where does the wire go with the ring term? Is that ground.
    No instructions came with it

Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    Okay so I spoke to a car audio expert and he said there really isn't anything like that per say so I asked about a capacitor and he said it would probably do the same... which is supply a steady output vs directly from the batt/charging system
    Funny you spoke with a car audio guy and he didn't know because you need a low pass filter. Low as in 0hz. A big cap in parallel and a big inductor in series is what you use to filter transient voltage spikes. Larger spikes, you would reverse bias a Zener diode across the circuit and it will short out when the peak inverse voltage is reached, nulling your spikes.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

if that thing can't handle basic spikes, I would be concerned about its design. They should have built in protection for that on the circuit board. Make sure all the grounds are good in the car. If you have a powdercoated alternator bracket or any loose wires on the starter, it can cause the alternator to spike. The S terminal on the alternator goes to the starter and if the voltage gets low or any resistance gets in that wire, it'll max out the alternator regulator. Good grounds and good, tight connections on the all of the alternator circuits are key.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    Funny you spoke with a car audio guy and he didn't know because you need a low pass filter. Low as in 0hz. A big cap in parallel and a big inductor in series is what you use to filter transient voltage spikes. Larger spikes, you would reverse bias a Zener diode across the circuit and it will short out when the peak inverse voltage is reached, nulling your spikes.
    Maybe I should have worded it differently...LOL I spoke to a car audio sales person who was the tech guru for the store...LOL