Thread: Where to start?

Tuner in Training

Where to start?

I'm trying to figure out where to start, I've purchased HPTuners and I've made some minor changes to the tune I received from a local shop(Improved idle, Nick Williams 102, Improved hanging idle). I've recently installed headers and per my most recent dyno, I'm running richer than I would like.

Looking at the tune I received from the local shop compared to the factory tune it seems changes were made to the Power Enrich EQ Ratio vs RPM table to reach the desired AFR. Presumably I could make similar changes to accommodate the headers to dial it back in, but I'm wondering if might be more appropriate to tune the SD, MAF, and VE tables that I've been hearing about such that the values found in the EQ Ratio vs RPM table are actual commanded values and not arbitrary scalars if you will.

Now most of what I've read in this regard is way over my head at this point in time, but I have found some posts that are easier to follow. I'm just wondering if they're still accurate and in what order I would perform these steps? Also at what point are these steps going to "break" my wide open tune, it seems to me I'm using the MAF? Which so far I don't know how to tune beyond 6600hz?

The first I found was this. This seems pretty simple to start off with, eventually it stops making sense but I'm assuming I might understand it better once I've gone through the first few steps?

The other I found was here. This seems even easier, but is it applicable he seems to be tuning the MAF for part throttle(< 6600hz) isn't this where SD and VE are doing the job?

Also best as I can tell I currently enter open loop at 4k rpm, controlled by Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable? Is it appropriate to lower this value? Seems like the Corvettes and F-Bodies are set to lower values(3k-3.5k).

Please correct anything I have wrong.

Thanks - Derrick
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FrumRoll; 04-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well I've been reading all day and I still have no idea what the computer is really doing, but I've decided to simplify this for my needs.

My intention is to startup the scanner and log the MAF hz vs RPM. I believe I should be able to use this to scale the airflow numbers found in the MAF table such that commanded afr(from the pe table) = actual afr. I will then verify this by using a wideband on the dyno and setting my commanded afr to 12.7:1. If this works as I believe it will I am going to lower the "Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable" to 3k rpm and repeat the process for 3.25k - 4k rpm, although I'll probably forgo the dyno verification to save on the costs.

Do these steps seem reasonable? Anything I have drastically wrong?

Install a wideband in bank one before tuning anything.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel