Thread: 2.4 LE5 with Turbo

Potential Tuner

Red face 2.4 LE5 with Turbo

I am looking at purchasing the pro version of HP Tuners so I can hook my wide band up to it.

The car has a 2.4 LE5 motor and turbo. The car has a Trifecta tune that I would like to remove and tune myself. The tune is ok the car runs good, it is just a little rich under 10 psi boost gets down to 9.8:1 and starts to misfire. I would like to get the AFR to 11.0:1 and see how she does. I purchased a spare ECM in case I really screw things up I figure I can stick the original back in the car.

The spare ECM I purchased was from another 2.4 le5 motor with turbo, the tune should at least run. The spare ecm is what I want to hook HP tuners up to, leaving the original ECM untouched for now.

Looking online using Google it looks like I can fix the VIN to match the car so the BCM does not have a fit.

How hard is a new MAP sensor to program 4 if I have the part number and can find spec sheets online? It is a two bar sensor.

Can a person who understands programming such as visual basic from college and is computer literate get this tune dialed in for a weekend street driver?

I do have a technical background I spent two years in college to be an Automotive Technician way back in the late 80's early 90's. EFI was just becoming a reality and throttle body injection was more common. I went in the Navy an learned to work on Radar Systems instead.

The reason I am thinking of doing this is I can't find a tuner locally in the Rochester MN area that has experience with my car. I figure if someone has to learn it might as well be me. Anybody here in the Rochester MN area that can help and would be willing to help.

Should I by HP Tuners Pro and pay someone like Performance Autowerks who is familiar with the setup to do an initial HP Tuners tune? Or is that going to be a waste of money?

I want to experiment with a few tunes 92 octane fuel, e30, 93 octane with water methanol injection, and e30 with water methanol injection.

You might be able to get it because of back ground but that really depends on you. If you save the original tune you take of the car you won't need two pcms. You do not have to do a vin change your can just disable the vats and your ready to roll. Be careful what shop you use just because they have hp doesn't mean they will be able to tune your car. The specs you need for the map sensor is around here some where also. I would go with pro but make sure you have a wideband that will work with it.

GM 2 bar map: MAP Sensor Linear = 200 kPa MAP Sensor Offset = 8.15 kPa

Change those in Engine Diagnostics-->Airflow tab in HPT

If your gonna buy HPT just read a lot of the stuff on here and tune yourself, not worth wasting $ for a shop to do it if you plan on doing it yourself eventually
    2006 Chevy Cobalt SS 2.4 Turbo
    320 whp 299 wtq