Thread: Bricked A T42 TCM With HPT Today.

Senior Tuner

Bricked A T42 TCM With HPT Today.

08 GMC 5.3L A4 Trans. Performing a write calibration. Got 1/2 way through writing the TCM and got an error that stopped the programming. From there on it would not see the T42 TCM any more. Tried everything I could think of to recover it but no dice. I picked up 2 T42 TCMs from a salvage yard. One was a brand new GM overstock surplus and the other one was out of a 08 Impala with a 5.3L . I got 2 of them because I wasn't sure if HPT would write to the new one since I've not bricked one until now. The service # on the Impala TCM was an interchange for the service # on the truck TCM according to their computer. For anyone wondering, HP Tuners will not write to a new T42 TCM. I ended up using the Impala T42 and wrote the GMC file to it. Anyone else bricked one doing write calibration? I can't blame the file because I wrote the same file to the replacement that I wrote to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    08 GMC 5.3L A4 Trans. Performing a write calibration. Got 1/2 way through writing the TCM and got an error that stopped the programming. From there on it would not see the T42 TCM any more. Tried everything I could think of to recover it but no dice. I picked up 2 T42 TCMs from a salvage yard. One was a brand new GM overstock surplus and the other one was out of a 08 Impala with a 5.3L . I got 2 of them because I wasn't sure if HPT would write to the new one since I've not bricked one until now. The service # on the Impala TCM was an interchange for the service # on the truck TCM according to their computer. For anyone wondering, HP Tuners will not write to a new T42 TCM. I ended up using the Impala T42 and wrote the GMC file to it. Anyone else bricked one doing write calibration? I can't blame the file because I wrote the same file to the replacement that I wrote to the original.
    happened to me as well, however i searched and found a couple people who said to disconnect the battery overnight and try flashing again, which worked for me as well.
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Senior Tuner
    I was tuning a customers truck where he worked. I had to get his truck fixed so he could drive it home. I have other tuning products that I sometimes hold my breath while flashing. I never felt I had to with HP Tuners until now.

Advanced Tuner
    this literally happened to me last night while tuning a 08 avalanche. I just did a DoD delete and it was fine. drove it, no issues. when we got back he said he wanted an EVAP dtc deleted and when i tried making that one little change, i got the TCM error message. unplugging the battery didn't help. not sure what to do now...i'm guessing trying a salvage yard tcm?

Advanced Tuner
    where do you go to find a list of compatible TCMs? i might need to find one in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_SS View Post
    this literally happened to me last night while tuning a 08 avalanche. I just did a DoD delete and it was fine. drove it, no issues. when we got back he said he wanted an EVAP dtc deleted and when i tried making that one little change, i got the TCM error message. unplugging the battery didn't help. not sure what to do now...i'm guessing trying a salvage yard tcm?
    remember it needs to be at least overnight not just a couple of minutes
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GXPLS4 View Post
    remember it needs to be at least overnight not just a couple of minutes
    That is not always an option. Especially if you are working on someone else's vehicle.

2000_SS, I took the bricked TCM with me to the salvage yard and they have programs that will show compatible service #s.

If there is a bug in HPT's software it needs to be fixed.

I always do a Write Entire on gen 4's after having a TBSS fail cal on me 7 years ago using Write Calibration Only. Since using Write Entire, I have had no issues. I recovered the TBSS by doing a Write Entire of the original cal back into the vehicle.
    1971 Olds Cutlass Supreme
    6.0/4L80E;
    Single turbo - Gen 3 controls, HPT 2bar OS

2014 Sierra Denali
    L86 6.2/6L80E; HPT e85

2005 Chevy Colorado
    LH6 5.3/M5 swap; Cone Killa

Advanced Tuner
    thanks. we actually did let it sit over night last night just in case; didn't fix it.

Bill responded to my email and got me a new beta to try, 2.24.592. I'm going over in the morning to try it out. He didn't specify if it was a bug and i didn't ask, but i'm optimistic it will work. If not, i'm headed straight to a salvage yard to find a new tcm.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    That is not always an option. Especially if you are working on someone else's vehicle.

2000_SS, I took the bricked TCM with me to the salvage yard and they have programs that will show compatible service #s.

If there is a bug in HPT's software it needs to be fixed.
    Fixed several days ago, redownload & reinstall 2.24 from your customer page, it should allow you to recover the tcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks for looking into it Bill. I had this happen to me last week on a 07 GMC. The customer had a Bully Dog tuner on it so he was able to get them to walk him through to getting the TCM calibration back. Scary and annoying!

is this updated 2.24 available on everyone's customer page?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrelapse13 View Post
    is this updated 2.24 available on everyone's customer page?
    yes.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanvv355 View Post
    I always do a Write Entire on gen 4's after having a TBSS fail cal on me 7 years ago using Write Calibration Only. Since using Write Entire, I have had no issues. I recovered the TBSS by doing a Write Entire of the original cal back into the vehicle.
    That's really not necessary man, you're just waiting longer than you need to.

There was a big with the TBSS E67 in particular years ago, where you could flash cal only and the vehicle would be dead...and if you flashed entire it'd be fine...but they fixed that years ago.

I only write entire when I absolutely have to (changing to an enhanced OS, or changing back).
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Originally Posted by ryanvv355 I always do a Write Entire on gen 4's after having a TBSS fail cal on me 7 years ago using Write Calibration Only. Since using Write Entire, I have had no issues. I recovered the TBSS by doing a Write Entire of the original cal back into the vehicle.
    Just reading this thread after my own experience with a T42 TCM write failure. The new HPT version fixed it for me as well but, in regards to your comment, about that long ago I had the same T42 write failure when the only thing you could write with was write entire. (The TCM recovery worked for me way back then too, BTW...)

Ever since HPT fixed the write calibration functionality with 2007 and newer PCM's, I have considered write calibration an absolutely great time saver. Besides, write entire would accelerate cmos chip failure by unnecessarily flashing cells that do not need to be written to.
    Last edited by BBA; 04-28-2014 at 08:26 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBA View Post
    Just reading this thread after my own experience with a T42 TCM write failure. The new HPT version fixed it for me as well but, in regards to your comment, about that long ago I had the same T42 write failure when the only thing you could write with was write entire. (The TCM recovery worked for me way back then too, BTW...)

Ever since HPT fixed the write calibration functionality with 2007 and newer PCM's, I have considered write calibration an absolutely great time saver. Besides, write entire would accelerate cmos chip failure by unnecessarily flashing cells that do not need to be written to.
    2.25 will also allow you to flash just the pcm only saving even more time

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Ok, I like that, awesome. Those stops on a side roads for tweaking just got a little more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    How soon will we be able to get the 2.25 or an update so it only updates the main ecu as an option. I hate the fact it flashes both, very unnecessary alot of the time.

BRING ON THE FLASH ECU CALIBRATION ONLY
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.