Thread: 0411 2002 Express calibration fan help

Advanced Tuner

0411 2002 Express calibration fan help

Having an issue with pin C2 33 controlling my high speed fans. Harness functions fine, when the wire to high relay is grounded high fan activates. Using the scan tool functional test however, have an issue. Command the high fan relay on and get a continuous, rapid clicking of the relay. The a/c recirculate selection box is greyed out and will not let me alter the setting like most other newer trucks. Anyone have any ideas other than finding a friend with EFI Live to fix it, which is actually not a bad idea since I can gain lean cruise at the same time. Do not mean that in an offensive way, but it has been my experience that HP Tuners has never allowed this change and the EFI Live guys seem to be able to make the E-Fan swap function perfectly well, even without adding the pressure sensor.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-18-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW...Its actually a 0411 L31 Express tune in an Express. The setup actually turned out fitting very well on a 454 radiator. With summer coming up I need to figure out a better way than a temperature switch in the head to turn high fans on.

Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-18-2014 at 10:02 AM.

I have the same problem on mine with the greyed out box. I have looked at a couple dozen express files from the repository and all have the option to change from a/c recirc to efans. Is theresomething in our tunes that is deleting that option?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by odom1957 View Post
    I have the same problem on mine with the greyed out box. I have looked at a couple dozen express files from the repository and all have the option to change from a/c recirc to efans. Is theresomething in our tunes that is deleting that option?
    I guess we are on our own to get this working......Recirculation option is not showing on my tune!!!! Just an empty box. Same calibration with EFILive or Tunercats has the option to swap this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Post your file.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Post your file.
    Agree, hard to troubleshoot without a file.

Question number two... what version of HP Tuners are you running?

Advanced Tuner
    Post your file.
    Here you go, alot of custom work for my aluminum head, marine intake Vortec 5.7 and a 4L80E segment swap done by HPTuners. Runs great, just need to be able to control cooling fan #2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    That's vexing, I get the same thing as your picture and I'm using a version of HP Tuners I downloaded yesterday (2.24.606). I would email support.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    Agree, hard to troubleshoot without a file.

Question number two... what version of HP Tuners are you running?
    Running 2.24.232

Senior Tuner
    I believe I can fix it for you, I will post a file later today or tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe I can fix it for you, I will post a file later today or tomorrow.
    I would be very appreciative if that could happen.

Senior Tuner
    Didnt take as long as I thought. Open it up, compare to your current file. If it looks in order I believe a write entire will be required to make the changes.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 05-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Didnt take as long as I thought. Open it up, compare to your current file. If it looks in order I believe a write entire will be required to make the changes.
    Looks good, I will have to write entire when I get home to try it. Thank you for the help!

what was the problem? mine has the same problem. if i were to load my tune, could you fix it too please? and possibly the vin mismatch error?

let me know if your fans work fast. I have all my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Senior Tuner
    post your file and I will have a look, no promises

Advanced Tuner
    Cooling fan #2 can be controlled manually but I guess since it is missing a pressure transducer and a monting point to add said transducer it will only turn on the compressor manually. Fan 1 came on with the a/c select on but the clutch would not engage.

On a side note it was 85°F outside, sun shinning, with fans on high and both blowers on high, my a/c blows 42°F at 700 rpm idle. At 2,200 rpm and stationary it blows 36°F and can make your knuckles hurt. I can only wonder what it would be like if I didn't have a 25% underdrive crank pulley on it.

Trans tuning with the spreadsheet found on this site ROCKS!!! Need to back off on the aggressiveness though. My 1/2 throttle shifts were happening at 3,500 rpm and it was always pulling. Never in too low of a gear.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Cooling fan #2 can be controlled manually but I guess since it is missing a pressure transducer and a monting point to add said transducer it will only turn on the compressor manually. Fan 1 came on with the a/c select on but the clutch would not engage.
    We have FANS and A/C clutch!!!! I built a small circuit, using two 1/8 ohm resistors and tied the +12VDC side to the a/c clutch cycling switch and the other side to the PCM a/c pressure input. Then used a second resistor to ground. Using ohms law I determined the resistance needed for both resistors to indicate ~220 PSI pressure. I would like to add an actual pressure transducer at some point in time, but I do not have a port anywhere in the high side of my a/c system to put it at the moment. I may completely ditch my high side service valve since it is leaking and retrofit a 3 wire pressure transducer into the port.

Bad news is I need to install my 220A upgrade kit on my CS-144 alternator, voltage is around 11 at idle. Good news, it will be worth having to upgrade the alternator......The a/c blows some COLD air! It was 95*F when I was messing with it yesterday.

At idle

2,200 rpm while stationary

I cant license my current tune because I have a vin/os mismatch. if you were to fix my tune, could I do a write entire and get access to my pcm? or do I need to have the pcm license first? I had laptop problems which forced me to reinstall software on another laptop, so I haven't been able to pull the file off my pcm yet.

fast, does your pcm control both fans via temp now? I don't care about the pressure thing, since I will have a 10 inch fan running anytime the a/c is on. I need my 2nd fan to come on and off just like my 1st, only at higher temps.

glad to see you made it work, kinda, on a/c pressure. I think it is time for all of us to do the COP and 24x swap to get all the pressure stuff to work properly?!?

Under Pressure Brian Herter Tune.hpt

here is the tune off my 0411. let me know if you can do anything with it?