Thread: E38 ve on boosted sierra

Advanced Tuner

E38 ve on boosted sierra

Hey guys, i'm running a maggie at ~8psi on my 2011 sierra 5.3, has the e38 controller. Ive been running in pure maf mode with dynamic airflow disabled just above idle. Ive got the maf curve pretty dead on, spark is good, ifr is accurate, tq models are close, tranny tune is pretty well perfect for my tastes. However, i still get quite a bit of bouncing on my wideband. Cruise bounces from 14.6-15.6, wot from 11-11.8. Also, since I'm lifted with larger heavier tires, i see boost at part throttle cruise fairly commonly, which puts me into pe and kills my gas mileage. I have used the eq<>ve software before, but not on a boosted app. This is actually my first FI tune. What do I need to do to dial in my ve, or even possibly run sd? I already have a zr1 map sensor with the tune corrected for that. I do not have the pro interface, although I'm looking at upgrading so I can log cmd afr vs actual afr to simplify my process...i already have histograms setup for e38 ve, but only up to 100kpa, i'm somewhere around 165kpa at wot.
    Last edited by SilverBullet6.0; 04-18-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Couple things as far as your boost at lower then desirable throttle causing more frequent trips to the gas bar .

Look into a " Heavy Spring " actuator from Maggie. I had the light spring and .. well what a *%*$(#*#.

Also , VVT. I noticed that heavy retarding in lower G/cyl cells for fuel economy was causing this problem. Just after winter cam about this situation had gotten extremely bad. I reloaded an older tune with less VVT and sure enough it corrected.

Try advancing the VVT in the cruise areas. Beware of these effects on ignition timing , especially when the Torque converter locks.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for that info! Changing my vvt settings at cruise cells did help me pull vaccum more often. But i noticed the table wouldnt go negative numbers? Wouldnt negative numbers indicate more advance? For instance, some cells were positive 2 and when i added negative 4, they only dropped to 0.
    I'm rounding up the parts to do a gear swap, which should put me back into vaccum at cruise due to my lift and oversized tires. But i still need advice on ve tuning?