Thread: OLSD and outside temperature

Tuner in Training

OLSD and outside temperature

My car runs way richer when its cold outside, like anything less then 60*F. Then it will run normal AFR from ~60*F and higher which is where I tune it.

For instance today it was ~40*F and my car was running between .5-1.0 richer then it would when its warmer outside. Its throughout the entire operating range too, not just idle or WOT.

70* vs 40*
    Idle: 14.2 to 13.7
    1,800rpm: 15.1 to 14.6
    WOT: 12.7-12.8 to 12.3-12.4

What causes this? What do I adjust to compensate for outside temperature? Only thing I can think of is fudging the IAT Sensor Calibration, which I did, and it seemed to work but it doesn't seem like the right way to fix this issue. Laptop died like 2 minutes from house so no log but I fudged the sensor readings to read ~63* when it was 43* outside and it ran almost perfect.

IAT sensor in bumper so no heatsoak issues
    Cylinder Charge Temperature complex model: disabled. Should be reading straight from IAT now, no "blending" with ECT.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Your cylinder charge temperature complex model is why it's not working properly. If you disable that feature the air temp sensor needs to be in the intake manifold to measure direct manifold air temperature.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Your cylinder charge temperature complex model is why it's not working properly. If you disable that feature the air temp sensor needs to be in the intake manifold to measure direct manifold air temperature.
    This is what I don't understand. If it was in the intake, it would read exactly the same as in the bumper while moving. I "ASS"umed that the complex model is basically a way to compensate for heatsoaking of the IAT when sitting at idle. My IAT would get to like 140* in the staging lanes on an 80* day, then maybe get to 100* at the finish line so that's why I moved it to the bumper.

Plus I did have IAT in the intake and complex model stock and it still got rich when cold. MAYBE it wasnt as bad as it is now though, I cant remember. Fudging the IAT calibration has been working good though lol, just doesn't seem proper.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by david_viny View Post
    This is what I don't understand. If it was in the intake, it would read exactly the same as in the bumper while moving. I "ASS"umed that the complex model is basically a way to compensate for heatsoaking of the IAT when sitting at idle. My IAT would get to like 140* in the staging lanes on an 80* day, then maybe get to 100* at the finish line so that's why I moved it to the bumper.

Plus I did have IAT in the intake and complex model stock and it still got rich when cold. MAYBE it wasnt as bad as it is now though, I cant remember. Fudging the IAT calibration has been working good though lol, just doesn't seem proper.

ancient thread i know... but did you ever get this sorted out??
    thanks