Thread: When should you reset fuel trims?

When should you reset fuel trims?

E40 LS2-
    I'm asking under what circumstances do you want to reset trims so you get an accurate result to changes? And conversely when do you want to leave them?
    For example, when working on improving idle by changing VE cells, I would think you need to reset every time you make a change and to not take into account log sessions where trims werent reset.
    No doubt the answer to my question involves a lot of situations so perhaps responders could tell us about the most common operation that require reset or that you dont want to reset for.
    Last edited by Widebody06; 04-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.

'06 BOM M6 Widebody RA6 GTO
    Trick Flow 550 kit( 225 heads, Track Max cam, springs, chain etc)
    ARH longtube , MBS HiFlow cats, Corsa Touring X-pipe SS exhaust
    Wilson FAST 92mm manifold #42 DeatschWerks Injectors soon
    Vararam Intake Duspeed not installed yet
    B&M shifter 3.91 rear,Monster level 4 Harrop diff cover
    CTS-V V2 brakes BC BR coilovers Whiteline everything
    DSS AH axles, Spohn LC arms, Toe Bar
    CCW 505a 10.5x19, 12.5x20 Nitto Invo 285& 345
    SCSS oil & afr Innovate LC2

Advanced Tuner
    I was thinking the same thing, if you do a log then re flash, and go again I would think reset the fuel trims so it does not take old data into account. But maybe when you re flash your learned trims are deleted?.

Senior Tuner
    Any time you're tuning VE or MAF, you should force open loop and disable the open loop STFT. After that, flash the file, start the engine and reset the trims.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Does that depend on what type of histo your using to tune, because I have used LTFT to tune my ve. My STFT are disabled in the stock tune. wouldn't you want to enable STFT for open loop?.

Im now of the opinion it only matters if you want quick answers, if your doing a couple of drive cycles, it retrims in response to the new setting and that as will15 says is good info in itself. Once I have my wideband working, that would probably be a circumstance when you'd want to remove trim influence.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    Does that depend on what type of histo your using to tune, because I have used LTFT to tune my ve. My STFT are disabled in the stock tune. wouldn't you want to enable STFT for open loop?.
    Your open loop STFT were disabled...but in closed loop, a LTFT can't make a change without a STFT making that change first. Tuning VE/MAF with STFT and LTFT takes a long time...it's much faster with the wideband.

Quote Originally Posted by Widebody06 View Post
    Im now of the opinion it only matters if you want quick answers, if your doing a couple of drive cycles, it retrims in response to the new setting and that as will15 says is good info in itself. Once I have my wideband working, that would probably be a circumstance when you'd want to remove trim influence.
    The data from the car trimming itself is "good" but you need to be careful with it. If you're going to allow it to just run with trims larger than say +/-2%, your airmass model is wrong. Closed loop will get the fuel right at light load where stoich is an acceptable AFR, but as the airmass model is incorrect, it will handle the spark advance lookup incorrectly.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

MikeOD, yep I'm seeing as I get my idle air mass dialed in the advance is improving with no change in anything spark related.

Senior Tuner
    I've found that I don't need to mess with the advance tables much...if at all, then tuning a car. The biggest timing changes I make are for idle/low rpm situations with bigger cams.
    2023 Durango Hellcat